Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Have You Used a Visual Page Builder to Structure Your Home Page?

Discussion in 'WordPress Plugins' started by Kevin Muldoon, Feb 9, 2016.

1. That is why I have never used page builders and shortcodes in the past.

However, I will only be using a page builder in key areas of my website such as my home page and the main area of the guides and webmaster resources sections. I won't be using them in articles; only in indexes. :)

Raspal likes this.
  2. #22 Raspal, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
    Yep, like Chris Lema said here: If you use the Divi theme with WordPress, it better be forever.

I do use the Divi theme on one site but it's temporary and I'm about to change the theme. Actually, I don't like Divi for the blog at all. It's limited. It's good for creating pages only IMO.

I use the ultimate shortcodes plugin, though. So, still what you said above is true. If I stop using the plugin or if this plugin breaks, a lot of shortcodes would be visible on the pages (though not as much as in Divi).

Like Kevin, I too don't use shortcodes in blog posts.

Kevin, you may already know about it but I hit upon this page builder plugin called Page Builder Sandwich while searching for another plugin. Just something different. Free WordPress plugin page here.

It's different than the other page builders in that it's a front-end page builder, we can directly add to/type into the live page and the text is saved. It's got shortcodes too.

3. It's strange that he is singling out Divi as this issue affects every page builder, every theme with shortcodes, and every content related plugin that uses shortcodes to style your content. He then shows the shortcode for the home page if you disable Divi. How is this any different to using any WordPress theme that doesn't just display the latest blog posts? If you use any of the professional all in one themes in the market and then change design, your website will be a mess. There is always some customisation necessary after activating a theme.

I do realise that he is using this example to illustrate to beginners what will happen if they use too much code, but I don't think he is giving everyone the big picture. Using shortcodes to style your home page and other key pages isn't as bad as he is making it out to be. It literally takes seconds to clear all of that shortcode from your home page. Of course it is a different story if you used content shortcodes in most of your articles (I have been warning WordPress users against that for around ten years).

At the end of the article he states that he uses Make from The Theme Foundry instead of Divi, but if you only use page builders to construct the style of your theme's main pages, then it is no different to using a theme such as Make that uses the WordPress theme customiser.

Raspal likes this.
  4. I find it rather perplexing that the developers of these rather successful themes are integrating functionality (shortcodes) directly into something that should be visual only. Why not build two separate products - a plugin which contains support for their shortcodes, and then the theme itself which would require the plugin. This way, if someone switches off the theme, their pages aren't instantly foobar'd, as the plugin is still running.

I realize the instant immediate (business) answer is: "Then customers could easily switch away to competitors" - but it's not that simple. First off, I'm sure any customer who has left Divi (or any other theme) has effectively left them for good due to the shortcode problem. Secondly, by building a theme which won't mess up their customer's site when deactivated, they look like the superior product to their competitors. Finally, I would imagine each of these theme builders are using an ever-so-slightly different set of shortcodes, so it's not like you could instantly switch themes anyway - the new theme would be unable to read the "old" shortcodes with their WYSIWYG editor, and so someone would have to either convert the shortcodes or deal with a messy WYSIWYG (defeating the entire point of the WYSIWYG).

Am I alone in this line of reasoning?

Raspal likes this.
  5. Initially, Elegant Themes only released Divi page building functionality through the Divi theme, however they later released it as a plugin. This means that you can switch to a different WordPress theme and continue to use the same shortcodes.

Very few theme developers are integrating shortcodes into their WordPress themes nowadays. Tying shortcodes to the theme itself was very common several years ago, but most use plugins to do it now. One of the most common things developers did many years ago was to copy the functionality from a shortcode WordPress plugin that was available from WordPress.org and then integrate it into their theme and customise it. They would have been better off just recommending the plugin they were copying and pasting into their design. Developers frequently did this with WordPress navigation plugins too to offer numeric navigation instead of previous and next messages.

Divi was probably the last major theme to use content shortcodes that were tied to the theme. Most of the themes released on ThemeForest use Visual Composer, an in-house page building plugin solution, or a third-party page building plugin such as Visual Composer that has been modified for their own needs.

6. What these theme developers tried to do was/is to add functionalities and features to the theme so people don't have to install as many plugins as with a theme without these features.

I see some theme developers mention that their theme makes the websites load very fast.

Now, how much is the website/blog speed dependent on a WP theme? I do know the optimizations needed for speeding up a WP website, though.

7. I just like the one I use because it seems pretty easy to build landing pages.

8. A WordPress theme can greatly affect the performance of a website if it has not been coded well and added a lot of bloat.

Developing a premium product such as Visual Composer requires years of development and listening to feedback from customers. It is no surprise that theme designers package solutions like this since they could never develop anything like it in a short space of time and still focus on theme development. There are only so many hours in the day.

9. @Kevin did you use VC to do your homepage as it is now?

Just curious. Have a client who uses VC. I haven't used VC before and find it strange to use. Maybe because I've used only Divi before.

On one page, I can't see the content inside VC but I do see a lot of short codes in the classic mode and text mode.

10. Yes it is being used to generate the front page of my personal blog. I am using it on some other pages to display tables as well.

11. For some reason, on many pages, when I edit, there is no content shown/displayed in the VC mode.

When clicking the classic/text mode, I see the content along with the VC short codes. I guess, some other plugin maybe causing this.

Will have to check. Nice front page. :)

12. Yes sounds like there is another plugin messing things up. Could be worth testing the plugin out on a test website first to see if you can get it working. This will allow you to test some designs too.