Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

How Best To Slow Down A Wordpress Website?

Discussion in 'WordPress Questions & Support' started by Joe F, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I want to test some caching plugins so am creating a demo WordPress website.

What's the best way to make that site load slowly, so that I can see what effect the different plugins have?

I'm added a multipurpose theme, setup the homepage with the demo content, added some large image files to the homepage.

What else can I do to really slow it down and get a low score on sites like Pingdom and GTmetrix?

Thanks.

2. 3 words: custom post types.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3. Install a bloated all-in-one theme and then just activate about 50 WordPress plugins. Make sure you activate plugins that are known to use a lot of resources, such as related posts, gallery plugins etc.

4. Google chrome developer tools has a throttling function within the network tab.

[​IMG]

5. Front loading ALL the scripts.....

6. Thanks! Do activated plugins slow down a site much, even if they aren't being used, eg you activate a slider plugin, but don't have any sliders on your site?

7. It depends on the plugin. Some developers add code to every page on your website despite you only using the plugin on one page.

8. The other thing you can do (if you wish) is to do some sort of stress testing, which will mean slightly different results but should be possible to use. You may have to play with this and speak to your host (if you have a VPN, that's fine). http://locust.io/ is what I use.

That's the proper way to do it.

9. Thanks Kevin and Rhys. Will activate some plugins and have a look at stress testing.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  10. This is such a funny question. Just saying...

11. @Joe F : If you add a couple social networking plugins, activate them and add your social profiles, they'll make sure that your site slows down with a couple hundred extra, zero-byte DB queries.

Use a page builder plugin, and save each page/post tens of times to increase the DB size. Also save many layouts which will increase the DB size to tens.

12. @Joe F Host your WordPress website with Free shared hosting server. Then follow tips that other's have provided. ;)
    Extended the other's suggestions, install as many plugins as you can. Make sure to install 2 or more same purpose plugins. That will ruin your website :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.