Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Rise Forums Gets A Lick Of Paint

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Kevin Muldoon, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Nice, looks and feels freedom :)

2. Thanks Hishaman. Glad you like the design :)

3. For the most part, I like the look - I tried a 2-column layout with a long-dead forum, I feel like it drops the perception of how big the forums actually are, which greatly reduces the intimidation factor (for new users) and lets you see more information at once (for experienced users).
    My one complaint would be the sticky-menu. I don't mind there being a sticky menu at the top, so long as it isn't tied to my scrolling up. It's one extra click/scroll-wheel that I need to make if I want to access the menu, and it comes off as a bit jerky. Maybe you could sticky the menu only when the user is past a certain point in the page? (see http://codepen.io/senff/pen/ayGvD for an example)

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  4. Displaying a column at the right of the page is something I could do in the future. It could help show the latest threads and make it easier to jump between rooms. I'll look into that next week when I have time. The sticky menu could be removed if I did that too as I could place navigation links in the menu.

5. I was actually referring to how boards within each category are organized - 2 boards to a row instead of one. Now that you've brought my attention to it, however..I'm actually not a fan of the actual sidebar on the homepage. I'm not sure exactly why, just not a fan (maybe it's because the main section is split into 2 as well).

6. Ahhh ok.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this:

• Would you like the forum categories on the home page displayed in two columns or one?
    • Would you like a sidebar displayed on the right hand side of the page throughout the forum?
    Kevin

7. @Kevin Muldoon Quick question. I tried to post a thread about adsense page level performance and I wanted to paste my adsense screenshot. But I was not allowed to paste any image directly. I am being asked to enter a url to insert an image. Is there a restriction on who can post images? or is it a technical glitch?

8. Hi Sakthi.

You should be able to upload a file. Do you not see an "Upload a File" button to the right of the "Post Reply" button?

Kevin

9. No, I don't see any upload button Kevin.

10. #30 Kevin Muldoon, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
    I think I've fixed the problem now Sakthi. Try now :)

With regards to the sticky navigation menu. I've turned it off just now. What do you think?

11. While I appreciate the no-longer jerky menu appearing when I scroll up, I think the best look and functionality would be if it was ALWAYS sticky - so it's there when someone wants to use the menu, and doesn't randomly cut off the top part of the screen because I'm a little loose with the mouse wheel. With that said, I use 24" monitors with 1920x1080 resolution - you'd have to look at your analytics to see what other user's use, and if having an always-sticky menu would take up too much real estate.

12. Having it permenantly sticky is one option.

What would be even better would be if there was an option for users to switch the sticky menu on or off. I'll speak to the developers and see if that is something they can do.

13. Hey Kevin, Yes I see the upload button now. I haven't used it yet. I will use it soon (in the next day or so) and let you know if I have any feedback.

As for the sticky menu, I didn't notice that you had a sticky menu. Perhaps, because I wasn't visiting Rise forum often lately. But yes, it looks good now. I don't like Sticky menu. I have had them in my websites before, but I personally think it doesn't bring much value. For years, web users have been used to either scrolling up to the top or using 'Ctrl + home' when they are done reading an article in a website and browse more. So, yes I think your forum looks better without it.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.