Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Should A Wordpress Developer Have Reviews Removed If They Were Incentivised?

Discussion in 'WordPress Theme & Plugin Development' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An interesting issue developed this week.

The WordPress developer Dan Cameron had been offering discounts to users who left reviews of his plugin. WordPress.org got wind of this and removed all five star reviews of his plugin (including the genuine ones).

You can read Dan's story about this at http://dancameron.org/code/what-now-no-way-huh/

My own view of this can be seen in this blog post http://www.kevinmuldoon.com/wordpress-developers-incentivising-reviews/ and in the comment area of Dan's post.

I feel that the punishment he received was entirely fair since he manipulated the review/ratings system.

Do you agree?

Kevin

2. I think if the .org allows this, people are able to spend money to bump their stats. That punishment is fully justified. Allow people to review based on their level of satisfaction not incentives.

3. Agreed. If they are incentivised then .org team were quite right to remove them.

Ask for reviews, hell ask for a 5* review, but don't give a review in exchange for something.

4. I was a little perplexed at how surprised the developer was about all of this. What did he expect WordPress to do?

The WordPress team had no way of knowing which reviews were fake and which were not.

Heather likes this.
  5. Yeah, none of them can be considered valid if some of them were paid for.

6. Yes I agree!
    As he violated the actual purpose of rating.
    Sounds like SPAM!

7. I'm not sure about this one.

It does seem to be against the spirit of free comments and reviews and will increase the amount of reviews he would receive.
    However, if he didn't insist customers were to post 5 star reviews and simply asked them to give a fair and honest opinion of the product, then what's the harm in rewarding them for doing so.

8. @Steven Gardner Yes. It's not harm if that's the case. But what, if I ask someone to rate 5 star and give a good opinion, then I'll allow you to have my plugin. Otherwise you CANNOT. This case sounds spam.

9. In that case I Agreed 100% and that activity should be punished.

Mustaasam Saleem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.