Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

WooCommerce vs Shopify - SEO?

Discussion in 'WordPress Plugins' started by Leo Koo, Oct 27, 2014.

1. His review doesn't really have any facts in it. There is no valid reason WooCommerce would do worse than Shopify. There are about a hundred factors why the traffic might have dropped when he moved to WooCommerce.

I have a couple clients on WooCommerce, one of them was on Shopify before and their traffic went way up after going to WooCommerces simply because I can do all my WP tricks on the site :) I hate shopify because you are very limited.

2. First and foremost, I consider Shopify as one of the best website builder because of the possibility to have a total control over the design of your website as you get to choose from over a hundred different templates or custom design a theme that is suited to your needs where no HTML or CSS is restricted. It's clear that it's a big advantage.

3. Thanks Gwen, but you get unrestricted control over your WordPress site as well. Plus WP has a much more powerful CMS that major sites like Mashable still uses (with a custom JS front-end)

Brian Jackson likes this.
  4. Because WooCommerce is a plugin created by WordPress developers WooThemes, you might also want to purchase a theme affiliated with them, however the plugin can be integrated with any WP theme. There are only 5 free themes, but nearly 50 available for a one-off fee of $79, or $139 with Adobe Photoshop options. There’s also the alternative to purchase all of the 52 themes for $399 to play with in your own time.

One of Shopify’s greatest selling points is its themes. In my opinion, they look absolutely great even out of the box. Shopify comes with 11 different free design templates, each of which is mobile responsive, and has a variety of different colouring options. All of these templates have a fashionably sleek and clean aesthetic which makes it perfect for modern, forward-thinking websites.

Thats why traffic should get affected after switching to WooCommerce.

5. Hi Ethan!

Are you really Irish, or are you from India? :) Your profile pic is kinda suspicious too, as it appears easily on many websites.

WooCommerce themes aren't one off, especially if you buy it from WooThemes. And there are thousands of WooCommerce themes out there. Some are really cheap if you buy the theme club package. Or you can easily build one yourself. And why can't WordPress themes be better out of the box than Shopify ones? Sorry, I just don't get your logic.

Oh well, you might be some Shopify development house from India, hoping to promote your wares here, no? :)

6. I have an acquaintance who has been using Shopify for some time now and she makes enough pay her bills.

7. I would agree with that - and a recent review of Shopify vs WooCommerce makes it clear that "out of the box" as you state above Ethan is much better and DIY when it comes to eCommerce setup - it's hard enough to make eCommerce work without having web dramas!

8. And Shopify isn't easily extensible. Plus, you don't own your data :) Read more below at my comparison of WooCommerce vs Shopify.

Do note that I code in Rails, Laravel and WordPress :)

9. As you know, I'm a big WordPress user. I use it for all of my blogs and content websites and I attend WordCamps, but I would disagree with certain things that you wrote about WooCommerce.

Specifically, in your comparison you note that WooCommerce is easy to maintain. I'm sorry but I don't think it is. I 100% agree with you that there are negatives to not holding all data yourself, but I don't think it is right to say WooCommerce is easy to maintain when compared to other solutions.

A solution such as Shopify or EasyStore works out of the box. It's a hosted solution so you never have to update anything. Everything is handled for you. In fact, you could go as far as saying that everything is spoon fed to you like a baby.

With WooCommerce you need to purchase hosting, you need to update WordPress regularly, you need to manage and update your WordPress theme, you need to manage and update all of the WordPress plugins you are using, and you need to actively ensure your website is secure.

It is also worth noting that out of the box WooCommerce is not a complete eCommerce solution. A lot of functionality can only be had if you purchase extensions and extensions can be expensive and there is always the risk of plugin errors and plugins not being supported etc. From a feature point of view you can argue that a solution such as Shopify does not have a lot of functionality by default either, but their apps just require you to click and install; they don't require regular maintenance and updates etc.

It is easy to look at the monthly cost of a monthly hosted eCommerce solution and be put off by paying, but what you are getting in return is essentially someone else managing the website management and admin work. Bear in mind too that WooCommerce can be very expensive. The core plugin can be downloaded free of charge but many online stores spend more than $1,000 per year on WooCommerce extensions and WordPress plugins in order to run their store effectively. In that respect, I think the true cost of WooCommerce is a little less transparent than other solutions.

I feel that if anyone wants to dip their feet into the water with eCommerce, a hosted solution is a great way to go as you can get things set up quickly and if it doesn't work out you can simply drop the project.

If you are thinking more long-term, I would probably look at hosting things myself with a solution such as WooCommerce. As you rightly pointed out, for a serious project it is better to have access to all of your data and control everything yourself.

A lot of these comparison articles seem to try and and declare a winner between WooCommerce and Shopify, but it is important to take the shop owner into consideration too.

Someone who prefers a hands-on approach to working online is always going to prefer WooCommerce. Someone who prefers someone else to manage things is always going to lead more to a hosted solution.

Throughout my career I have always been a hands-on guy, but as I get older and my time starts becoming more and more limited every year (family, friends, training, other projects etc), I am drawn more and more to solutions than make my life easier.

Take my blog, for example.

I host everything myself on a dedicated server and I manage the theme and all plugin updates and maintenance myself. If WordPress.com could offer a good hosted service that still gave me full control over everything including data and plugins, I would definitely be willing to consider hosting with them as it would free up a lot of my time.

There really is a lot to be said about streamlining your online work and reducing the amount of time you spend on admin.