Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

30 Day Challenge - 3000 Squats & 1000 Push-Ups

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Kevin Muldoon, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    The start of the year is when most people make a plan to get fitter and lose weight.

One year ago I was super fit as I had been training for marathons. I got injured at the start of March but managed to run three marathons in seven weeks over April and May. The fourth marathon was out of my reach as my legs were finished.

Due to the injury with my piriformis muscle, I was unable to train. Despite being vegetarian, the weight slowly creeped on. I recently realised that I am about 2 stone heavier than I was one year ago (around 28 lbs or 12.7 lg). I don't think I am obese, but I am certainly not as slim as the guy who was training for marathons this time last year.

I recognised this before Christmas and started being proactive. Apart from Christmas day, I have did some form of exercise every day. I've been out running, doing light dumbbells, and did some pad work with friends.

Tonight, my friend Div sent me a challenge : 3000 Squats & 1000 Push-Ups over 30 days.

It was designed by Neila Rey. You can find the original listed at http://neilarey.com/challenges/3000-squats-1000-push-ups.html and download the PDF from https://googledrive.com/host/0ByBWGnRchrKwTnFsa2JzdUtXQ0U/squats-pushups-challenge.pdf.

squats-pushups-challenge.png

I have printed the challenge up and stuck it to my door.

It seems quite simple at first, but later on the reps increase quite quickly. What I like about this is that it will force me to do these exercises every day. I will still be running and doing other forms of exercise, but this will make me even fitter.

So who wants to take part ? :)

Kevin

Heather likes this.
  2. I'm down Kevin! I usually do situps and pullups on Tuesday/Thursday and Push-ups and weights on Monday/Wednesday/Friday... But I am down for a challenge :) I will be starting today. That's a lot of squats lol.

I'm gonna see if I can get my brother in on this too.

Heather likes this.
  3. Good stuff.

You will still tone your stomach with this via the push ups.

I didn't find it too bad initially, but I imagine it gets touch towards the end. We used to do so many of them at Taekwondo. We used to struggle to spar properly after doing squats as our legs were so sore.

Looking forward to seeing the difference it makes over 30 days.

Brian Jackson likes this.
  4. I am in. Love the simplicity. Just printed it and did the first day, including a small extra buffer because I am slightly sceptical of the number of repetitions in the end. :D

During summer I usually go biking or jogging almost every day and in winter I do way to little due to snow/cold or rainy weather. So this is a good way to change that I hope, thanks for posting.

Brian Jackson and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  5. Good to have you on board Thomas.

The great thing about this challenge is that you can do it at anytime and don't need equipment. That's why it will be easy to stick to. :)

6. Good luck! How's it going?

I'm going to start running for real next week. I was down and out for almost two weeks with a cold (or flu?) but I'm almost totally better now.

I have ten pounds to lose, so I can relate! :O)

7. #7 Brian Jackson, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Was day 5 for me today :) Going good... the squats are hard for me as I am not a runner. I can do 100 pushups right now in a row without reps haha, so those are easy. I am pretty skinny and don't weigh much so pushups and pullups have always been super easy. The squats are gonna be good for me.

I am also doing this: The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKKS278/ I don't know if anyone has read this. I have woken up at 6am for the past 5 days (note: my previous wakeup time was the last moment possible to get ready for work at 8am, so 7:45am lol). Do my exercise first thing, then read devotionals for a bit. It's all about spending time on improving yourself before the day begins. This means not being on FB, not watching TV, etc.. It means exercising, reading, devotionals, prayer, meditation, yoga.

I have to admit I do feel better and so much more productive. I highly recommend reading it. He also has tricks... like moving your alarm clock across the room. Working for me!

Jay Mayu and Heather like this.
  8. I have been ok with it so far. It will be interesting to see how I cope with the challenge when the reps get higher.

I do think it is best to get up early every day, though I always seem to drift towards getting up later. For a few weeks I was getting up at 7am every day, but on Saturday night I went to my friend's party and we stayed up until 4am. So over the last few days I have been going to bed around the same time and getting up at midday. I will need to set my alarm in order to start getting up earlier every day.

Moving your alarm clock across the room is a good idea. I frequently turn it off and get back to sleep without even knowing I did it.

Raspal likes this.
  9. Brian, I read that book last year and loved it. I am planning to read it again very soon. I want to fine tune my morning routine. I did do a routine similar to what he suggests for a little while, and loved it! It was really amazing. I need to be disciplined and start it again. Not that it's hard... I just need to be intentional and do it.

One little challenge for me in the morning is that I never know for sure when the children will wake up, and I already get up early and don't really want to force myself out of bed at 5:00 AM every morning. But, oh well. I'll just do my best. Before I know it they'll be teenagers sleeping in till 10:00.

Enjoy your parties while you can, Kevin! :) At least you do have the flexibility to sleep in. I can't remember the last time I stayed up till 4:00, or for that matter, got up at noon. In the past seven plus years, I think the latest I've gotten to sleep is.... maybe 8? That is extremely rare though.

I'm glad y'all have been doing well with the program! I can't do pushups anymore since my wrists got weak after baby number 1. That's sad, because they're good exercise. I love lunges and squats though. Brian, I wish I could do pull ups!

10. Thanks Heather...though it's swings and roundabouts.

I think when people hear you slept until midday, they assume you slept for 10 hours. But frequently it means I was working until 5am or 6am and only got a couple of hours sleep. Though last week I was getting 8 hours those nights, so I cannot complain :)

I am going to build myself up for pull ups again. I bought a pull up bar for my door so that I will remember to do them frequently. I have one in my gym too. Hopefully, this will allow me to do them more frequently and build myself up again.

11. I know what you mean. You do seem like a night owl a lot of the time, working late. Hopefully the eight hour stretches will be more of the norm this year.

That sounds smart to put the pull up bar over your door! That's a great way to help you remember to do it.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  12. Day 12 and everything is going well so far. Unlike for Brian the push ups are the hard part for me, but after the first few days it has gotten a lot easier already, so that is kind of cool. :D

Also funny: Similar kinds of challenges suddenly came up all over Facebook here in Germany, organized in events with a start date of February 1st. There is one for planking, push ups and a separate one for sit ups which I have seen some friends join already. Never seen that before, maybe it is becoming a new trend.

Heather likes this.
  13. Don't worry Thomas these squats are going to kill me lol :)

14. Before that happens we should maybe trade some squat repetitions for push up repetitions. :D

Heather likes this.
  15. Great job, guys! One thing I just thought of--be very careful when you're doing your squats to do them with good form. Better to use good form than injure your knees. Remember not to stick your knees out beyond your toes. And the slower you go, with more control, the better workout you'll get.

But I imagine with these high reps you're just trying to get them done. So just be careful! :)

So are you all breaking up your reps over the day, or are you supposed to do them all at once?

I could benefit from more accountability, too, so I'm just going to say that for this week, my goal is to run 3 times and do my weights twice. I'll try to add a plank pose and laugh inside at the thought of y'all doing a zillion pushups.

So far so good for me. I did my weights on Sunday, and I ran yesterday. I'm planning to run again W and F. But if it's raining, I don't expect to be so hardcore as to go running in that. Dreary, foggy cold weather is bad enough.

16. I have been doing them all at once so far. Went to my friends boxing class tonight and I had even more push ups and squats to do...but I managed them well; so I think the challenge is helping me build up strength quickly.

I normally still go out and run in the rain unless it's torrential. It's frost and snow that really restricts me. It started snowing here last night and there is an inch or two lying on the ground. I will not be able to run until that is way.

Cold weather is manageable. Just be sure to wrap up. I never missed a day of my 5 days a week running schedule last year. We were covering up to 50 miles some weeks and some days it dropped below zero. It was not a major problem as we put on a few layers. I used to have two t-shirts and a jacket and wear thermal trousers under my shorts. It does not take long to get warmed up. In fact, we frequently found we put too many layers on before some runs and started getting too sweaty.

Personally, I would rather run in weather that was too cold than weather that was too hot. A few weeks after completing my final marathon last year, I did a short 3 to 4 mile in Caratagena, which is on the Caribbean coast of Colombia. Mile three felt like mile 25 of a marathon. The humidity meant that my core temperature was rising and rising.

For me, as long as it's not ridiculously hot, I will go out and run.

I encourage you to do the same. Just get wrapped up and get out there :)

Heather likes this.
  17. Good for you, making progress with your training. I'm sure that felt good.

I guess I'll just have to be hardcore and do it anyway. :) Thank you for your encouragement.

I know you're right that cold weather is better than hot. I normally get cold easily, but I've been amazed at how quickly I heat up out there running. I am learning how to layer and what to wear. I don't have any special clothes. (But I did get a watch! Yay, what a great difference that made. And I got a running belt so I can easily carry my key and phone.)

I do want to get a hat. I lost my old one and we have a zillion little hats that fit my girls and some fit me kind of but are really too small. The only one that fits really well is my Darth Maul hat, but I'm not going to wear that to run.

It gets extremely hot here in the summer, and it's very humid, and I know what a difference that makes. I'm going to have to run in the morning then for sure.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  18. Yeah I would get a hat if it is cold out there. I ran with my friend Andy and when he came to the door I rushed downstairs. I didn't even realise I had left my hate until we had ran a mile and my ears were ice cold! (it was 0 degrees).

What watch did you get?

19. I did it! It wasn't raining, but it was cold, and I didn't get as much sleep last night as I needed, so it would have been easy not to do it. But I'm so glad I did it. I did wear a hat (that was a little too small), and I'm glad I did. I also wear thin gloves because my hands would get really cold otherwise. I'm surprised it took you so long to remember your hat, but I'm sure you were talking to your friend at first. I think it was 38 today when I ran. It seems to be getting a teeny tiny bit easier, but maybe that's just my imagination at this point. I did try to make sure I was running downhill more than uphill. I read that beginners make progress quickly, so I hope that will be the case with me.

I got a Timex watch. Later on I might get something fancier.

20. I wear gloves too. If I ever forget them, I tend to hide my hands inside my jacket.

Sounds like it is nearly as cold as it is here (we are just a few degrees lower than you). There is still snow on the ground here, but it has been raining tonight so hopefully that will wash most of it away. Just be sure to keep up the training on a regular basis. You will see returns in no time :)

Your watch looks nice. For your next one, you should consider getting a GPS watch that tracks your pace and distance. A heart rate monitor is useful too.

I have the first Garmin Fenix (the third one has just been released in the USA). I picked mine up second hand when the Fenix 2 had just came out a few months. It does everything I need. I don't see me upgrading for a few years. :)

Heather likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.