Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Amazon Affiliate Site?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Heather, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is it hard to set up a site to focus on Amazon Affiliate sales? Would I need to choose a product to focus on and try to get search engine traffic? Would I write reviews?

Do you know of any good resources that explain this? How much work does this kind of thing take to maintain?

Maybe we've talked about this before but it just wasn't on my radar. If any of you are doing this already, maybe I could look at your websites.

:)

2. The concept is fairly simple. You write good informative reviews about products and then link to them on Amazon.

The idea being that when someone searches for information about those products, they will read your review and then click through and buy it through your affiliate link.

As far as work? It depends on the product.

For example, there are always new mobile phones coming out so you would have to add new reviews every week. However, you could focus on something more specific such as a particular style or brand of a product. For example, running watches or Disney DVDs etc.

My advice for your first product is to stick to something you know. What products are you knowledgable about?

3. That makes sense and sounds simple, but do people actually own/buy all the products they review?

I'm not sure what I could focus on if I did that. I have used a lot of baby-related products, including lots of brands of cloth diapers, but I'm moving out of that now that my daughter is 3. I read a good bit, so books... We have various small tech items around the house, like my bluetooth, my little bluetooth speaker, some computer-related stuff... and some appliances.

Also, is it better to focus on more expensive items to review, like tech items, or does it not really matter that much since as long as someone clicks your Amazon link, you'll get a percentage if they purchase anything? I guess ideally bigger ticket items would be better.

But the truth is, no, I don't have time for this at all right now. I have a few affiliate links in my blog and I'll continue to do that occasionally. But sadly, I have not made a dime through my Amazon Associates account.

I know I need to focus on building my HM readership, and that's part of what I'm doing right now. But one thing I've been wondering about is, should I try to focus on SEO to some degree? So far, I haven't done that at all, but I'd like to learn a little about it so I could maybe get more search engine traffic.

4. Sharing from my experience as a novice. I had so far tried 3 types of blogs, MMO, Japan cultural/travel and a Gear/Tools & Equipment blog.

I started with MMO since that's where I got exposure of how to make money online, I tried to do what other MMO blogs do. It didn't make me any money. Then I realize I was just following, I didn't know much about the topic, I didn't even feel excited about it.

Then I tried a Japanese cultural blog, since I am a big Japanophile. I like writing stuff for this niche, I enjoyed, but I can't seems to make a dime either. And related ads/affiliate products are difficult to source.

So I started to look for a new niche to try, gears/tools and equipment are also something I really like. I was really excited about this and nonetheless, there are plenty of related products on Amazon. I did not do SEO at first as I have little understanding about it, I just started writing. Blog some of my gears, review them even they are not new in the market anymore and link my posts to relevant Amazon items. Even if what I am writing about is not available on Amazon I will try to compare that product to a similar product on Amazon. I also report new products what are coming to the market, and also concept products, and link them up with similar products. Later on I start to see the way people are searching about these products, and I use those key words with the help of Yoast SEO, I am still learning on ways to step up my SEO. Its been 3 months now, and I mention before in another thread I do make some money from this blog, I believe with some more effort I could make more.

Answering your question, I don't think you need to own or use a lot of products. I think having a niche and being specific is important, so you know who will be reading and eventually click through your link. I do link to both expensive and cheap items, as expensive as $150 to as cheap as $4. And I spend about 3 hours a day on that blog, since I have a day job. I would spend a hour in the morning when I wake up and through out the day spend about 10-15 minutes, usually get me 2 days to write a post.

Heather likes this.
  5. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Soki! Your website and remembering you saying you were making some money at it made me think about it. :)

6. No you don't need to own the products you review. You could easily write informative reviews from just looking at specifications, features, and other text and video reviews. Then you can summarise everything in your own words.

You could focus on more expensive items. That should result in higher commissions when people do buy something, though bear in mind that expensive items may appeal to less people. So you could potentially make more money from a website that reviewed cheap items than one that reviewed expensive items. And remember, there is nothing stopping a customer from clicking through your website to view an item that costs $20 and then end up buying something more expensive like a television.

Are there not products related to your blog that you could review? It could be a great way to test the waters with all of this.

Heather likes this.
  7. Hey Heather, I thought I would chime in. I am actually working on my new Amazon affiliate site http://nogluten.io/ if you want to take a look. For example, I am reviewing peanut butter, mayo, alkaline water, lol. The site isn't fully finished yet, but maybe it gives you an idea. I am definitely targeting small products and a specific niche, those with IBD, Crohns, and UC. I am already confident I will make money. Usually with amazon sites its just a matter of time.

Like Kevin said, you might get a small commission of the product you referred, but if they add anything else to their cart on amazon you also make commission on that. I had an article about a screen cleaner a while back that was on 1st page of Google. I made money on all sorts of stuff. They bought screen cleaner and I would also make money on them buying diapers lol.

Kevin Muldoon and Heather like this.
  8. Yes, I think so! I recently did an article before Mother's Day about my favorite children's books related to a mother's love, and I had my Amazon affiliate links for each one. I try to include them if possible, if I mention something in the course of an article.

I could do something Father's Day-related soon, and have affiliate links for that.

Do you think if I upped my SEO game (ha) I could get more traffic to my blog?

Also, thank you for answering my questions and giving all that good, helpful info about how it works. Both of you make good points about the item itself not necessarily needing to be expensive.

@Brian Jackson, Thank you for your help, too. I will definitely check out your website. I love that idea, and I know it will be so helpful to other people. Which is why it's a great idea. :)

For my current blog, do you think it would be better as far as generating traffic for my affiliate link to occasionally have a post that is solely a review of a product? I mean, do you think that would generate more search engine traffic? It makes sense I think that I might actually get people who would click through if they're actually reading because they're considering buying something.

Maybe I could do something about productivity tools (actual tools) or I don't know... I'll have to brainstorm ideas about products related to my topics. :)

9. I have always seen better conversion rates when I write about a specific product (product review). Just randomly placing affiliate links will sometimes generate commissions, but rarely as much. I actually think your post on Mother's day was quite good! And being a list post you actually were able to link multiple products which is great.
    I would recommend adding a CTA under each book though.

Something like this. I highly recommend this free button plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/mango-buttons/

upload_2015-6-3_10-56-50.png

You can always color them to match your site. They might be a little distracting, but in your Mother's Day post it is not very evident that you can click on it. There is a reason why CTA buttons work :)

SEO will always help, but I would simply focus on generating more content first.

Heather likes this.
  10. Brian! Thank you for that awesome feedback/info. And do you know how happy I am that you read my post??! So happy! :) I'm glad you liked it. I agree, the links were not necessarily that evident. I never would have thought to use these buttons, but I think they're great.

And I'm happy you said that about SEO not being something I need to worry about right now.

Brian Jackson likes this.
  11. Haha, ya one reason is because I grew up on this book that you mentioned in your post... My Mom used to read it to me every night. The books means a lot to me. You have the advantage in your niche where you can really trigger the emotional side of people :) Which is always good for conversion rates.
    upload_2015-6-3_11-59-39.png

Heather likes this.
  12. I love that book so much, too. What a tearjerker. Whoa. And I know my daughters and I will always treasure them, the special ones, and always remember our special time reading.

I also remember my mother reading to me before bed, which is a big reason I always read to my girls before bed, too.

13. Brian, I love your new website! When can I start commenting? :) and sharing... I know quite a few people who are gluten free. Have you tried Kroger natural peanut butter? I love peanut butter, and it's the best. I prefer crunchy. I think it's just peanuts and maybe a little salt.

Also, we drink filtered tap water, but I have got to try that Icelandic water.

14. @Brian Jackson I love those buttons! I just added them to that post. So easy to use and they look good. Do you know if there is a way to make them open in a new window instead of the same one?

Also, see my post above this one. :)

15. Wow, ya those look great on your site! Like the heart :)

If you double click your button to edit it, there is a small little icon you can check next to where you put the URL so that it opens in a new window.

upload_2015-6-8_12-44-53.png

Heather likes this.
  16. Oh and feel free to start commenting and sharing on my nogluten.io website :) I have some good posts coming up drafts. I will have to try Kroger :) The Icelandic water, no joke is the best water I have ever tasted. Hard to explain, but it tastes like your drinking a cloud lol. It's definitely not cheap, but since I stopped drinking Starbucks its still way cheaper to buy alkaline water on Amazon than it was buying coffee everyday.

Heather likes this.
  17. Thanks! You taught me two things, to double click to edit, and about the open in a new window thing. :)

Okay, I will. Let me know what you think when you try the peanut butter. (Make sure you stir it well with a knife when you first open it, and then store it in the fridge.)

I'm going to have to try that water. I drink way too much Starbucks coffee (I make it at home), and I need to drink more water and less caffeine. I'll let you know how I like it. It sounds amazing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.