Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Anyone seen any nice fairly minimal blogging themes lately?

Discussion in 'WordPress Themes' started by Joe F, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm looking for a blogging theme that isn't totally minimal, but still pretty sparse.

Something like this would be nice: http://developer.telerik.com/featured/sordid-history-context-menu/

I'm looking around so will probably find something soon, but if anyone has noticed any thing lately please share.

I'm kind of bored of the StudioPress blogging themes now. I don't really like their font choices (yes I know you can change them) and they tend to look pretty samey.

If anyone knows of a theme where the post images can be larger then the post text width, that would be cool!

Thanks.

Heather likes this.
  2. I have no idea if these are good, but I thought they looked pretty nice and minimal:

http://themeforest.net/item/sinensis-simple-and-readable-blog-theme/9543224

http://themegrill.com/themes/spacious-pro/

I was trying to google themes with image size wider than text, but apparently that is rare and often requires changes to CSS. (At least, I think so, based on the search results I saw.)

I wonder if it's possible to make the image wider than the text using a Content Builder...

Good luck in finding the right theme! :)

3. Heather likes this.
  4. I'm keen on changing my theme again soon too so this is a topic that interests me :)

I might give something like Divi a try as I want something that I can use to create my own unique layout. Specifically, I want to incorporate my blog and use the design to promote my YouTube channel more.

Sinensis looks good, though it does seem to rely on larger featured images.

I don't blame you for being wary of ThemeForest themes. So many themes stop getting supported or even removed from the marketplace.

Have you considered something like StudioPress's Genesis framework or ElegantThemes' Divi?

5. If you're about to use Divi, wait for its update (should arrive soon).

Heather likes this.
  6. 17th of June to be exact....but shhh, you didn't hear that from me :)

Heather and Kris Hoja like this.
  7. Good to know :joyful:

Heather likes this.
  8. That's such a cute smilie, Kris. @Kris Hoja I can never seem to find a special smilie that fits when I'm looking for one.

9. I've gone off the StudioPress themes lately in terms of their apperance. I used to really like them but now they all look quite similar.

I've had a look at the new features of Divi and it looks really good so might give that a try. You can do pretty much anything with it now so its very felxible.

Heather likes this.
  10. I agree with you on that. StudioPress were one ahead of the curve, but their designs are starting to look very dated now. I suspect StudioPress is not getting the same love and attention it did in the past with resources being put to other CopyBlogger projects.

Heather likes this.
  11. Why the great concern over ThemeForest? Yep, there are bound to be some dodgy themes on there out of the thousands that are available, but using common sense and themes that are proven with good ratings and plenty of versions should give your the confidence to invest. I've used a couple and worked with others purchased via TF and they've been excellent. Obv depends what you're looking for.

12. There are a lot of problems with buying themes from ThemeForest. I touched about a few of these in a blog post the other day.

One big problem is the fact that themes get lost in the huge marketplace over time. This gives no incentive to theme developers to continue to develop and support a theme as the theme is not selling.

What this means is that if a theme is not selling well, there is a very high chance it will be buggy.

Theme authors regularly remove their themes because of lack of sales. Therefore, if you return to the forum to attempt to download the latest version that is not full of errors, you may find that the product has been completely removed. Half of the purchases I have made on ThemeForest have been removed already.

[​IMG]

If you are going to buy from ThemeForest, you have to ensure you buy one that is selling well and is updated regularly. If not, you will probably be buying a buggy mess that cannot be used properly on a live website.

13. Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  14. #14 Melodie, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    I like this minimalist theme. I've looked around a lot and this is the best I've found. For me the only problem is that it needs to be customised to my requirements and I don't have the requisite experience
    http://demo.ecko.me/?theme=AstroWP

15. I've just viewed the demo for 'no side bar ' the latest Genesis theme. Any thoughts on this? It looks like a good theme to customise.

16. Yeah that is a nice design.

Which design are you referring to?

17. http://my.studiopress.com/themes/no-sidebar/

This theme looks ok, I'm hoping it's not laden with bells and whistles extraneous to my needs as its on the genesis framework.
    I'm beginning to appreciate why people opt for a custom made theme.
    Happy new year Kevin. Thanks for all your work in running this forum. Now that I've been looking into how sites are run, I have a new appreciation for a well maintained site.

18. I'm wondering if it will look sparse rather than minimalist if I take out the photos that precede each post in the demo

19. I get a lot of help from staff and long term members help report spam etc too.

I used the Genesis framework for years, but I have not been inspired by their designs for a long time. They have not been innovating.

I wouldn't purchase the theme on the offchance it looks better with the images removed. You would be better choosing a theme that is closer to the look you want.

20. That's good advice Kevin.
    no point in having a theme that I want to alter too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.