Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Anyone use LinkedIn to find clients?

Discussion in 'Freelancing' started by Joe F, Jan 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a very basic profile on there but have heard of people finding freelance jobs on there.

Is it worth investing time in?

Here is my profile if anyone want to join my network or however it works:
    http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/joe-fylan/66/82a/902

Feel free to endorse my skills and I will endorse yours!

Cheers.

2. It's not something I use personally. I occasionally go on and there, approve friend requests and request any other that are there. It seems like a numbers game and posts from my blog are automatically published there, so it makes sense to have more friends/associates there.

My friend is a lawyer and raves about LinkedIn all the time. It seems to be very useful in many industries.

3. I've never found any clients through there. I've had one useful message (the rest are recruitment consultants, who ignore the "DON'T SPAM ME RECRUITMENT CONSULTANTS") and that's it.

I think the company I work for has found a few clients through it. We do a fair bit of work with lawyers, so I guess that goes hand-in-hand with what Kevin said :)

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  4. i haven't used it for finding clients yet, but a current client has just asked me about helping them find some new in-house staff using it...

i'm guessing that finding freelance clients on LI will be easiest if you are in a specific industry and can therefore interact and help people out in groups and attract them that way.

5. looks like there are some potential in LinkedIn, guess I'll open my linkedin account and re-do my profile.
    My account has been there for a while and It doesn't seems to do me anything except for login in to approve this and that.
    Will give it a shot.

6. I've actually found 2 very lucrative clients through my LinkedIn page. One contacted me to blog for their site, after seeing that I was a blogger for b5Media years ago. That client simply contacted me through private email, said they were interested in having me write 3 blog posts a week for their site. At first I couldn't believe it, but I sent a very detailed quote, a contract, we did a Skype interview, and the work began! I'm still working for/with that client right now.

The second client is a non-profit group and found me through a comment that I had left on a forum. She said she 'liked my answer' so she wanted to work with me. The work with a non-profit is more sporadic, but it's good work when you can get it. I'm also still working with that client right now too.

I never would have guessed it from LinkedIn, but you just never know. Give it a shot and just see what happens. You have nothing to lose.

7. LinkedIn has been underwhelming for me. Most social media has except for Google+. The problem is so many people, literally millions, are using social media now to promote their blogs that it's tough to stand out, even if you write entertaining content that people enjoy reading.

Right now, LinkedIn won't let me post articles (maybe it's trying to tell me something), and all of the images in the articles already in my profile have disappeared. The help community hasn't provided a solution.

My attitude toward LinkedIn is the same as my attitude toward Facebook, I post there occasionally just to maintain my presence, but I don't expect much to come of it.

8. LinkedIn is a very powerful social media platform to get clients, but it is also the hardest bec. of the competition around it. I have tried it and get a few only and takes so much time doing it. What techniques have you guys done already with linkedin to get clients?

9. I get no freelance opportunities via LinkedIn, instead I have been approached for full time opportunities which I'm not very fond of.

10. I have to agree with @Jay Mayu ... I find LinkedIn better for full time positions than freelance.

Just within the last 2 weeks I have gotten 4 job offers from crazy big companies. And it really picked up when I hit 500+ connections. I think that is important. I am happy where I am at but actually took 2 of the interviews over the phone just to see what they were offering. I think beefing up your profile is definitely important.

Some recommendations:
    • Utilize the publications section to highlight your best blog posts.
    • Use the "Add Media" section under company experience. This allows you to add the company logo and a link to their website.
    • Get recommendations and endorsements. (this is super easy... just send some of your co-workers or colleagues a short email asking. You would be surprised how many people are willing to help you out)
    You can see example of my profile here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianleejackson

I'm not sure if this is a lot of activity or not because I don't have anything to compare it to... but 96 visits over the last 90 days seems pretty decent for a network I never use or spend time on.

upload_2015-2-2_10-25-55.png

Heather, Jay Mayu and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  11. That is so awesome, Brian! (about the job interviews)

Before long I need to update my LinkedIn... These are great tips. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.