Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Do You Think I Need A Contract?

Discussion in 'Freelancing' started by Heather, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello!

So... I'm open to getting more editing clients while I'm looking for more full time income. I have some people who are interested in my editing services, but they don't want to pay my full rate since they're just starting out and can't afford it. I have offered basically a 50% discount of what it would cost them at my current full rate, and the way it will work is that they pay up front for me to edit 5,000 words of content, and then they can redeem it over time.

Do you think I need a contract? I'm thinking it's not necessary, and if anyone would probably want one it would be them, since they would pay up front.

I just thought about it and thought I'd ask to see what y'all think.

Kevin and Joe, for your freelance writing, do you have contracts with your clients, or does it vary? I know this is editing, so it's a little different, but still. I'm curious.

Thank you!

2. Yes. I now refuse to work without one.

It covers yourself, they know exactly what they are getting, and you know where you stand. I imagine for freelance writing it will cover how many rewrites you have for example of the work.

Don't leave anything open to interpretation.

Heather likes this.
  3. I used to request clients sign a contract so that I had some sort of legal backup against me being screwed over. However, I stopped requesting it since so few website owners actually wanted to sign it. What I do now is now ask newer clients to pay up front.

My rules are however clearly stated on my services page.

Heather likes this.
  4. Thanks, guys. I guess for this one it's probably going to be a moot point. But I think in a case like this, it's probably not necessary for me to have a contract, although the client might prefer one... I was also going to make sure I had payment up front so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.