Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Does Anyone Else Struggle With Multitasking Certain Things?

Discussion in 'Productivity' started by Kevin Muldoon, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know it's a stereotype that men cannot multitask, but I do think there is perhaps some truth to it. Well, there certainly is with me.

Today is a good example of this.

My plan was to complete a video and then work on the review of WP Engine. After completing the video, I then turned my attention to all of the boxes etc that I had in my room.

From a priority point of view, all of that could have been put up in my loft tomorrow or even Wednesday. It wasn't doing any harm sitting there.

I'm not a super tidy guy by any means, but I just couldn't focus on writing a new article with all of the crap lying around. So during the day when I can usually be more productive with writing, I have instead spent a few hours putting everything in boxes and I'm about to put them all in the loft.

I don't know why but when I have something like that hanging around my neck that needs to be done, I prefer to get it completed and out the way; despite the fact I have more important tasks to perform.

I probably wouldn't feel this way if I worked in a separate office, however since I work at home little distractions like this can crop up from time to time.

Does anyone else struggle with this kind of thing or am I a mentalist? :D

Kevin

2. Oh I struggle :) - I know when I've got things on my to-do list everything else seems more important.

As my income really isn't as tied to my freelance as yours is, I just let it be and wait for the inspiration to strike me. I doubt that would work for you though :)

3. Haha, that's actually the hardest thing to maintain. I have big mess on my desk, vaping gear, pc, soldering stuff, some dishes :)
    And when it comes to working/coding I always find something more interesting like new episode of favourite series, fascinating YT video, make new coils for my atomizers, take a nap...

I like to work between 1 and 5 am, when it's quiet, family is sleeping, but then I'm exhausted when they wake me up too early.

Working in office would probably increase productivity but well, at home I can grab something to eat when I want, play with kids for a while when files are uploading.

4. Me too, since I have my online job and my day job and several other stuff. I always find myself doing another thing in a middle of something.
    Even when I am at my day job office, I still tend to do many stuff at a time.

5. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I know many people who work online swear by working in an office environment, but like Kris I like being at home when things are uploading or when I need a break. There are obviously more distractions too but I'm so used to working from home that I'm not sure I would enjoy working in an office. However, that situation would change if I ever had kids or lived with someone with kids as I need peace and quiet when I'm working.

6. I am actually setting up a home office to do my online work, and since my wife will stop her day job, she needs a proper workspace at home. I am hoping I could work better when our home workspace is done, now I have my workspace in my bedroom and bed is a very distracting thing.

Heather likes this.
  7. You will be more productive when you can work in a more spacious room that is quieter and has less distractions.

8. Yep Kevin. You're right. So I have two offices. One is at home and one is my actual workplace office. I've noticed I'm more productive at my work office (despite people walking around, lunches and general office talk) because I have a massive office, it's pretty sparsely decorated, and my massive desk (honestly, 3 people could sit and work on it) has nothing on it except my laptop, charger, coffee and (silent) phone.

I get much more done there than I do at my home office desk which has notebooks, pens, papers, and random stuff just laying around,

My plan (when I have time) is to completely empty out my home office and leave it with just the bare essentials. Setup a different shelf or something to store knickknacks. And hopefully kick up productivity on the days I work from home.

9. I don't know if a work office would fit into my lifestyle. Sometimes I work late and then sleep late, other times I get up early and start working. I don't have any kids so I don't have to worry about distractions at home. I'm sure it would be different if that situation changed.

10. Hey Kevin,

Should've clarified. While working as a freelancer (which is what I did from 2008 till 3 months ago), I had a home office. Now that I've joined Avaza, they've asked me to work out of their local office 2 days a week, which means I now split my week between their office (my work-office) and my home office.

Try removing all the clutter from your office and see if it helps.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.