Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

DSLR vs Smaller Camera?

Discussion in 'The Tech Room' started by Joe F, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a Nikon DSLR which I loved when I was travelling a bit more and taking photos of interesting stuff.

But now I've got my hands full when out and about and travelling less, I'm thinking of swapping it for a smaller camera.

I could probably only stretch to a couple of #100 so not sure how that sort of budget camera would compare?

I know the DSLR would take better quality images, but I'd rather have a camera that was easier to carry and whip out, and that I would use more often. My phone has a terrible camera so that's not an option.

I'm not printing the photos often, and if I do, it's not at large sizes, so I don't think I need anything too fancy.

Did you trade in your SLR for something smaller and did you regret it?

It would probably be something in this sort of range:
    Panasonic Lumix TZ70
    SONY Cyber-shot HX60VB

2. I was mainly using my Panasonic G6 to record videos on my channel for a long time but I have found that after buying my smaller Sony RX100 M3 I am using that more often (the G6 is about the size of a small DSLR). The RX100's smaller size makes it easier to move around and use.

If the camera is only for taking photos of things when you are out and about, a smaller camera definitely makes more sense for you. You could have the best DSLR in the world but if it's too big you'll never carry it around. As the old saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you.

Would you consider putting the money for a camera towards getting a better smartphone? I am sure you would be pleased with the photos that can be produced from flagship phones that are out at the moment. From a quality point of view, the smartphone will not match any of the cameras you mentioned above, but it does mean you would have it with you at all times.

3. Yes, that is a good point about the smartphone. I haven't really used a high-end camera lately, at least not looking back at the photos on a big screen. I'd be worried about low light photos indoors on the smartphone, but perhaps they've come on a bit since.

That Sony looks about the right size. I would still have to consciously decide to take it out with me, which is fine. But at least it would be easier to sling around my neck or put in a (big) pocket.

The SLR really requires a free hand even when not in use as it does swing about and take up a fair amount of space, plus there's always the worry of it getting pinched if you don't keep an eye on it.

But then if I did size down, maybe it would be worth going right down to a true compact I can always fit in a pocket - then you are probably getting into the realms of smartphone quality!

4. Hello,

I don't own a camera, but I know a friend who does. He wanted to become a photographer and bought a professional camera, I don't know whats type. Now he longer use it because he lost interest in photography, I asked him to sell it to me but he refused and he said its high value for sale.

All in all, I suggest you keep it, and get a small digital camera instead.

5. Thanks, I was having a look on ebay and my camera doesn't sell for much these days as it's been superseded so probably wouldn't fetch much at auction.

Plus there are some pretty affordable new entry level DSLRs available now that would probably trump it on features.

I did try out a few compacts the other day in the shop and it looks like you get a lot for your money now a days.

Does anyone use WiFi on their digital camera to upload photos? Is this a useful feature to look for? Can you choose where the photos get uploaded to?

6. This is my quick look at the Sony RX100 M3. It may give you a better idea of the size of the thing. It can fit in your pocket, but it's not something you'd want in your jeans all day long. It would be fine in a jacket pocket or small camera bag.

The camera has wifi too, but it's not something I use. If the tripod is still attached, I will just connect it to my computer using a micro-B USB cable. If it isn't, I normally just pop out the SD card and transfer files that way. I have always found transferring files directly like that to be quicker than any wireless solution.

This video shows you how to transfer the files on my camera to a smartphone.

You will notice the guy uses the Play Memories app. The RX100 series actually has an option for apps that let you add additional functionality. You can see a list of apps at https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/. There are a number of direct upload and image editing apps there. There's a Flickr option too. I have not used anything like that yet so cannot comment on how good it is.

Many other camera manufacturers have support for image uploads too. Samsung, for example, were known for including many useful wifi and syncing features in their cameras.

There's pros and cons for using a small camera instead of a larger DSLR. I generally feel smaller cameras suit my needs better.

My Panasonic G6 is still a good camera and I still use it for videos, but it is never taken out of my office. If I was ever going somewhere I would take the more portable RX100.

7. Thanks Kevin, that is good to know.

I can't see myself ever printing the countless photos I've got from my SLR at any size above 6x4 to be honest, so a smaller one is probably a better option.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.