Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Email v/s Website Push Notifications - have you compared them?

Discussion in 'Email Marketing' started by Anand Kansal, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I wanted to start a discussion on this forum and get everyone’s opinions on: a) whether you’ve tried push notifications for their visitors on their website; b) how does it compare with your email marketing experience.

Disclosure: we’ve started a service called PushCrew. It’s very new and currently we’re talking to email marketers, educating them and taking their feedback.

Our experience: we’ve seen our early users getting an opt-in rate of up to 20-40% and click rate of up to 15-20%. However, we feel that the use case of push notifications is very different as push notification if overdone become spammy. But in certain use cases sending a notification is better than sending an email - like expiring discounts (that only last for a couple of hours or days) or personalised alerts/updates (where sending one email per alert/update could be an overkill).

I’m curious - how is your experience for these two technologies (in terms of use case)? Since push technology is new, how do you think end users will react to them?

Anand
    PushCrew - push notifications for websites

2. Hi Anand.

Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, can I ask that you do not post identical threads in multiple discussion rooms. You posted the above thread in two separate rooms. One is sufficient.

I don't know exactly how your service works, but I get the impression that this could end up frustrating users if it was not handled correctly. Though I assume that all users have to opt in to such a service?

Kevin

3. Hey Kevin, Thanks for the reply. I guess I made a mistake. Thanks for giving me the heads up.

As far as your question about PushCrew's service goes, any website can sign up for a PushCrew account post which they are provided with a smart code. The code needs to be inserted before the closing head tag of the website pages. After that, PushCrew starts working on the website. Any visitor who arrives on the website is shown and opt-in modal box saying "This website wants to send you push notifications" and if the user clicks on 'allow', he/she is added to the subscriber list. Once a website starts collecting subscribers, they can send a push notification form their website directly to the subscribers' browsers. These arrive in real-time, means they arrive even if the website is closed at that point of time.

Yes you are right on both counts: It is a strictly opt-in channel (no website can send you push notifications unless you explicity give them permission to do so, and even after that, unsubscribing/opting-out is very easy), and yes, this could end up frustrating users if not handled correctly. But I would like to point out that, if websites do not overdo this, this is a great medium to build a personalised connection with the audience.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  4. That's sound interesting. I think you guys are using Web Push technology (http://www.w3.org/TR/push-api/)
    This is really new thing and will benefit website owner a lot.
    Advantage over email base subscription is that we do not need to login and check our emails every time, However I don't think it will come as alternative of traditional email instead it may live with it as another method.
    One major problem with it may be is small notification is like a popup which distract when we are doing some important work. It become more annoying when the notification is not that important. Imagine we are writing a blog with concentration and suddenly 5-6 notification popup making you distract. This will certainly make many of them opt out of it.
    Overall trying new things is always good. We hope this become a successful technology

5. Hi Sanjay, Thanks for your comment. Yes, you are right that push notifications cannot be viewed as an alternative to email. Both email and push notifications have different features which cater to different requirements. For example, an email can provide more information than a push notification and thus it is very useful for those situations where a lot of important information needs to be given (product announcements, press releases, invoices etc.). However, for more time-bound information which needs a quick response, such as discount coupons, product tracking details, flight timings etc, push notifications is more appropriate than push notifications.

Also, in push notifications, unlike email, control is actually in the hands of the user. Opting out of push notifications is a one-click process, so it is self correcting.

Sanjay Ojha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.