Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Figuring out what social sharing plugin to use...

Discussion in 'WordPress Plugins' started by Heather, Oct 17, 2014.

1. I have Wordpress SEO by Yoast. But I want to make my images all pinnable, and the Yoast plugin doesn't have anything related to Pinterest from what I can tell.

So after reading here, I added the Wordpress Social Sharing Optimization plugin. Does this mean I should take off the Wordpress SEO plugin?

Also, I have the SumoMe Share now, but I'm not sure if I should.

And, I have Simple Social Icons.

I think I can get rid of some of these, maybe?

2. I don't believe https://wordpress.org/plugins/wpsso/ handles other aspects of SEO such as meta information, breadcrumbs, sitemaps etc. Therefore, I would keep Yoast's SEO plugin installed.

Are there any areas in which you feel the plugins are clashing?

Kevin

Heather likes this.
  3. Preferably keep the SEO by Yoast. For pinterest share, dont use any plugin, but simply user a code in functions.php for pinning images. You can search for tutorials. I would keep the least amount of plugins on a site as sometimes too many plugins not only cause clash but also increase load times.

Heather likes this.
  4. I agree with @prakash, try to keep your plugins to a minimum. Also, try to pick plugins that are active in development and support. It sounds like you already have too many when it comes to social sharing.

I'm not familiar with all these plugins, but try to avoid running two plugins offering the same/similar functionality.

Heather likes this.
  5. Thank you all for trying to help me with this. What happened is that I was trying to find a way to get all of my blog post images pinnable to Pinterest. When I look at the instructions at Pinterest, it says it will make all the images on a page pinnable. I wasn't sure if that meant that I'd have to go through a complicated process every time I do a post, or if there is a way to put in the code once and have it work for all blog posts. So then I went in search of a plugin to do it for me.

Well, I realized that some social plugins include pinterest with everything else, and I thought that might be good, and the WPSSO seemed to have that, and it's so highly recommended. But... then when I installed it, it was clashing a little with wordpress-SEO, and I had to uncheck the facebook meta graph data box.

Thinking about all of my social share plugins (which also include Boris's awesome one, too) made me feel like I need to pare them back down, but I'm not sure which should go, and I still need to make sure I get the Pinterest thing figured out.

There was that issue where I had to uncheck that box... And I'm leaning toward taking off the WPSSO and trying to figure out another way to do Pinterest.

That's what I'm thinking, too.
    I think I need to get read of the simple social share. I can't even tell what that's doing. Would it be bad to deactivate it and just see what happens? (I don't think it will mess anything up, but as you all know, I know so little about it.

And do you all think the Sumo Me share on the side is redundant? I don't want my site just covered in share buttons (ha!)

6. I decided to use a pinterest plugin. However, the one I picked is no longer being developed, so I may change it before long if I can find something better. This is the one I chose: https://wordpress.org/plugins/jquery-pin-it-button-for-images/

I also deleted the WPSSO, rechecked that box in the Wordpress SEO, and figured out what the simple share icons are... I need to figure out how to add in the other social media icons again.

7. Try Easy Social Shares By AppsCreo on CodeCanyon. :) I've tried a number but found them the best so far.

Heather likes this.
  8. I'm currently using Easy Social Shares too. It still has a few minor bugs,, such as not displaying the number of shares correctly, but it looks great.

Heather likes this.
  9. I'll check it out, and see what it would take the place of... maybe the simple social thing.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  10. Btw, check out Monarch, the latest plugin by Elegantthemes :)

Kris Hoja likes this.
  11. Agree with Leo!

12. Heather likes this.
  13. Wow, that was a long review! :)

In my previous go round with trying to learn Wordpress, I joined Elegant Themes. I think it was $39. Does that give me a discount for the developer license, or is the membership just one year anyway? (two questions in one, I guess.)

14. I don't believe that will give you a discount.

Membership is charged on a yearly basis. It's still a good deal considering what they offer.

15. I won a lifetime access two years ago and I'm very happy to have it.

@Heather you can try your luck on WPLift giveaway
    I won't give you instructions how to multiply your chances ;)

Also check this Google search

Heather likes this.
  16. I also won my on lifetime :) A worth it investment. Divi 2.0 is one of the best themes around

Heather likes this.
  17. Thank you, Kris! Wow, I didn't realize they gave away so many. I just hope I don't get tons of spam... :)

18. #19 Heather, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    @Kris Hoja I won one! Now I'm just hoping he can actually get in contact with me. I'm not sure my email is connected to the disqus account, and they didn't ask for email, just a comment... So I submitted something via their contact form. The website is theartimes.com

We'll see! :) But yay! Thanks for suggesting I do that.

Update: I did get a quick reply to my email, so it looks like I'll really get it. Hooray!

Kris Hoja and Brian Jackson like this.
  19. Congrats! :) Welcome to the ET family!

Heather likes this.