Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Firebug or Chrome web developer extension?

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by Heather, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In my communication with support, they've recommended that I use Firebug or Chrome web developer extension to see the full stylesheet for my website. I have only a vague idea of what this will mean, but I would like to do so, since I think I need to tweak my website.

Are these two things the same type of tool, except one for firefox and one for chrome? I normally use Chrome as my browser, so do you think I should try using the Chrome one?

And also, do you think that if I use this it might shed some light on why my Mailchimp sign up form isn't working? I noticed on my mailchimp account the "list ID". Do you think the list ID would be on the stylesheet as part of my CSS that relates to my opt in form?

2. Hi Heather,

both tools allow you to look into both your HTML and CSS code. Indeed, Firebug is for Firefox and the other one is for Chrome. In fact, if you use Chrome, you can achieve this by using the Inspect Element option, after right-clicking on any element of your website.

Here's how to use the tools:
    http://www.studiopress.com/tips/using-firebug.htm
    https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/docs/elements

To inspect the code and make changes, you will need an understanding of HTML and CSS.
    If you have no experience with HTML/CSS, check out http://www.w3schools.com/

Yes, inspecting your code will allow you to find out why your MailChimp signup form isn't working. However, list ID would not be a part of your CSS, but could be found in your HTML, somewhere in the <form> element.

Let me know if you need any help ;)

3. Thank you, Boris! I appreciate all the help! I'll check out the links.

4. So CSS is within html? Is CSS more about style and html about how it all works?

5. I used the "inspect element" to check things out a tiny bit, and I don't see the list ID in the form element. I let the help people know that, although surely they would have checked that if it is important, which it seems to me it is.

Anyway, wow!! There is a ton of code to make it all add up to my website. Cool and overwhelming.

Question: This devtools thing doesn't allow you to change things, right? Because couldn't strangers just make changes to others' websites if it worked that way? Is it just a way to see it, but you have to be logged in to make changes?

6. Consider HTML to be the template of any page and the way to add elements, links and basic styling such as bold (strong) and italic (em). Styling allows you to style all of the elements on a page.

Heather likes this.
  7. You are right Heather. To make changes you must have access to raw files.
    Though these devtools help you to see live changes while writing html and css. So it is fast way to cross check your coding instead of coding in your file through your favorite editor, save it and then hit browser to see it.

Heather likes this.
  8. Thank you! I appreciate it. I hope I can get to the point of knowing how to make some changes without royally messing things up. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.