Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Fixing Your Website's SEO Issues: How Long Before You See an Improvement in Your Ranking?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have touched upon this briefly in the past, but I thought I would raise this issue again as I received another audit email from SEMRush.

The email reported that 28 issues were no longer being detected and 17 new ones were. I have not changed anything on my website since the last time they sent me such a report so it sounds like some of the issues resolved themselves on their own :)

As you can see below, I got an overall score of 78%. Many errors, warnings, and notices, are also referenced.

semrush-audit-kevinmuldoon.png

I have never made fixing things like this a priority; perhaps because it is not something that I can see tangible results for right away.

I would love to hear from those of you who have tackled SEO issues like this before. Specifically, from those of you who have corrected all issues that an SEO audit recommends be addressed. It could have been for your own website or for a client's website.
    • How long did it take to correct all the issues? (e.g. hours, days, or weeks)
    • Once you have corrected all issues, did you see an improvement in your search engine rankings and your search engine traffic?
    • Once you have cleared your website of all SEO issues, do you try and address all issues, errors and warnings, as they are advised?
    I guess the big question I am really asking is whether it is worthwhile spending a day or two correcting website issues or whether the difference it makes to a website's search engine ranking is negligible.

I do realise that no two websites are alike, but I think it would be good to see the difference others have seen, or not seen, from addressing SEO issues :)

Kevin

2. As I don't have any active sites myself, I can't speculate on my own experience specific to SEO. However, I can speak to software development in general.

Think of your website as a piece of software - because it is. Not the content itself, but rather WordPress (or whatever backend you may have running) is. A computer has to execute a bunch of code in order for your website to work. Now that you see your website as a piece of software, you can think of the above SEO errors and warnings as signs of inefficiency in your code. Your website still "works" - but it could be optimized.

I would recommend against solving everything at once, as there is too much opportunity to go wrong. You believe you fix your 19 errors and warnings, only to view your site and get a 500 error! Instead I'd go one issue at a time, making it easy to go back in case you make a boo-boo. Additionally, by spending a mere 5-10 minutes each day addressing the next minor issue found, you don't have to feel like you wasted a bunch of time for seemingly little reward.

3. Yeah I agree that spending ten minutes doing it every day wouldn't feel like as much as an effort.

However I believe SEO is a little different in that there some inefficiencies in code that will go unpunished.It is not clear what the main ranking factors are so resolving some issues could take a lot of time but give you nothing in return.

There are a lot of areas like this that are counter productive in SEO. For example, I could spend hours addressing a minor issue and it may not affect my ranking or traffic in any way. In contrast, my traffic could increase more if I spent four hours writing two good articles for my website.

4. I'm not sure what the SEMRush report suggests, but I've found that tinkering with my site's SEO can have pretty instant results (withing a week or two).

What I've done is look for keywords that my site is ranking on low page one or high page two in Google.

So if there is a post on my site that is ranking for 'red widgets' on the bottom of page one in Google. I will find other posts on the blog that mention 'red widgets' and then add a link from those pages to the post that is ranking on the bottom of page one - using 'red widgets' as the anchor text.

If the site is well established and is ranking well in Google for some search terms already, this tends to help bump that post up the rankings for 'red widgets'.

SEMRush will tell you which keywords you are already ranking for, so have a look and see if there are any you can improve by adding more internal links to your content.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  5. Very interesting Joe. That is something I have not even thought about. I should perhaps start reviewing the articles that are generating good traffic and then update them to link to other relevant pages on my blog.

Seeing a traffic jump within a week or two is really good. I would love to add a couple of hundred visitors a day to my traffic by simply tweaking my content like this.

6. It's more of a jump in the SERPS that I experienced after adding the internal links, which let to more traffic.

But yes, you could get extra traffic (to those pages) by adding links to relevant posts for your readers to follow.

You could also try adding custom sidebar widgets to posts, that contain text links/image links to related articles. EG on each hosting review, in the sidebar, you have a noticable graphic that says "read our hosting review comparison guide" which links to your guide.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  7. That's something I would like to do. I have also thought about incorporating a three column design in order to link to guides etc, but I am not sure whether it will look good doing that.

8. You could use a combination of a floating widget and a custom sidebar, to create a widget that is always on display, even once the reader has scrolled down past the main sidebar content.

That floating widget could include the one, most relevant link related to the article they are reading. So even when they get to the end of the article, that link is on display and they can click on it to get to your ultimate guide to setting up a blog, or whatever.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/q2w3-fixed-widget/

Brian Jackson likes this.
  9. Looks like a good plugin.

I was looking at a WordPress theme recently that uses a fixed widget in their sidebar. It can work well in promoting a newsletter sign up form, advertisement, or menu.

It hopefully wouldn't be too much of a pain to setup with widget logic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

10. Yes, its worth trying, on maybe a few key articles.

How is your Nexus 6P?

11. The Nexus 6P. I uploaded lots of videos about the phone to my YouTube channel in which I talk about the phone. The videos I have published on the Rise Forums YouTube channel were recorded using the Google Nexus 6P too.

12. It looks great. Out of my price range though but looks like a good Android option.

13. Yeah it is arguably the best Android phone available at the moment as it runs stock android and doesn't have any crappy bloatware on it.

14. Would you say its better than the S6 or the impending S7? I've read Samsung have toned down their TouchWiz interface, but I'm sure its not as good as plain Android.

I've got an old Moto with stock android 5 and I really like it, although I do use a launcher.

I'm hoping my next phone will have v6. I hear the Flex storage features is really good for phones with low internal storage.

15. My friend has the Samsung S6 Edge. It's an absolutely gorgeous phone, it runs quickly, and the camera on it was arguably the best of 2015. It's battery life isn't amazing and it has some bloatware. I opted for the 6P because the battery life was better and the software ran smoother because it of the lack of bloat. The camera is good in low light, but the Samsung smashes it in daylight and in video.

The moto phones are great. Fantastic value for money and run as quick as many flagship phones because there's no bloat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.