Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

From Http To Https - The Challenges: Seo, Lost Social Share Counts, Etc

Discussion in 'Blogging & Content Marketing' started by enstine, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently moved my blog from HTTP to HTTPS. That means I added the SSL certificate to my domain and all started well.

My first challenge was do a 301 redirect, which was done with the help of my new host. They had a plugin installed which does the redirects. I can see it's working because some of my old articles are now indexed on the new HTTPS protocol.

The second challenge?

I lost all social share counts.

All my Facebook share counts, Google+, Tweets went down to ZERO

[​IMG]

I only noticed LinkedIn count stood firm. I think their API functions differently.

Well, the reason behind this lost is simply that Social Media APIs match the counts against a specific site location or url and once the S is added to the initial HTTP, it completely changes the location.

Recovery lost social media share counts

I found out the only way to recovery my counts was to change the social share plugin. I tested and found out a plugin know as Social Warefare does the job. It fetches counts from both locations (HTTP and HTTPS) and sums them up on the buttons

[​IMG]

This will also work if you change domain name or link structure.
    You may want to check out details how I did that on this blog post

If you have any other method to recover lost social share counts without the use of a plugin, please share with us.

Thanks you

2. I've read your detailed article on "enstinemuki". Nicely covered. (y)

enstine likes this.
  3. Mustaasam Saleem likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.