Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Google's View of Guest Blogging

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In this video, Matt Cutts shares Google's view on guest blogging. It suggests that Google is looking at three main factors: The quality of posts, the relevancy of the topic to the blog in question, and whether someone is linking within the post using anchor text.

It sounds like many companies could be throwing money away by going with cheaper advertising companies that are pumping out generic content post after post.

Kevin

2. Interesting. He usually seems like he is talking sense but when they put they enforce their rules they are usually so heavy handed.

From an SEO perspective, it seems like guest blogging became popular around the time the article marketing services like BMR and Unique Article Wizard went down.

This is because it allows you to get the same effect - in-content backlinks - but with more leg work involved.

If Google can distinguish between spray and pray guest blogging and high quality guest blogging its good news for quality freelance bloggers as they can offers services where they write guest blog posts on behalf of those wishing to get some links/promote their service.

If you look at someone like Bamidele Onibalusi http://www.writersincharge.com/about/ he makes lots of money as a freelance blogger who offers guest blogging services.

<google rant>
    As an aside, who are Google to judge on guest blogging? In the real world, if someone has a new film or album out, they go on as many talk shows as they can, promoting their project to anyone who will have them. Surely guest blogging is the same, if someone has an online project out, they try and get coverage on as many other online properties as they can. There isn't one entity that governs offline promotions so why is there one entity (Google) that governs online promotion?

I know Google isn't the whole of the online world, but they are in such a position that it feels like it. Imagine if there was just one TV channel, and that channel controlled the content of all the shows on that channel. That is pretty much the state the internet is in.
    </google rant>

3. Google have been found breaking their own rules on many occasions. That has been well documented. They have a monopoly so it is no surprise. I personally believe the internet suffers with the biggest search company in the world also being the biggest advertising company. I'd love to see some good alternatives.

The problem with this whole issue is that there is a fine line between good posts and bad posts. Who is to say which is which?

4. Exactly, even if a post isnt' well written in terms of grammar and spelling, it could still service a purpose and be useful to the target audience, same goes for correct formatting, HTML styles etc. The Google algorhythm is too blunt and instrument to evaluate stuff 'quality content' IMO.

5. You can kind of spot fairly easily sites that are set up to purely be guest posts. James Agate did a talk at a Think Visibility here in the UK in what to look for, would check it out - http://www.slideshare.net/jamesagate/james-agate-think-visibility-2013

Kind structure my whole guest post approach with what he says.

And finally - it's like anything Google says, take it with a pinch of salt, and quality things are still good. Do you know what most of the links I built last month for one of my clients? Directories. Still a lot of really good directories, it's just the shite ones don't work anymore.

6. I've always stayed clear of directories as I thought traffic would be low quality. I actually ran lots of directories myself. The problem is that all directory scripts suffer from spam. The last directory I had would get around 5 real submissions a day and about 100 spam submissions. It made running the site impossible.

(I realise I'm going off on a tangent here).

7. Matt just confirmed what I've been saying already. If you all do natural and by natural I mean submitting your content to related sites and link when it is appropriate, you don't have to be scared by any animal- NO Penguin, Panda or Hummingbird. :D

8. True. I probably worked for a company that did about 20% of those spam submissions :D

Admittedly you have to be some sort of business, but I'm sure you can find something relevant in (for example) this search - https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:gov.uk+business+directory&pws=0&hl=en&num=10 (UK only). Loads of business directories I would have NO problem submitting to :)

9. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that like Directories, Guest blogging will be okay on good quality sites. :) - there are quite a lot of shite out there.

Do agree though with who Google are to judge what is "quality content". I mean where do you draw the line?

10. They don't know what quality content is. I imagine they can use spellcheckers etc on pages, though they will mostly be looking at incoming links, keywords, number of shares etc.

Take Mashable for example. Some of their posts are nothing more than a YouTube video and two sentences describing the video. That isn't a problem as they have 1.7 million fans on Facebook and 3.7 followers on Twitter. Anything they publish - regardless of quality - is shared by thousands of people. That helps them push poor quality posts to the top of the rankings.

This is an area that I believe Google fails badly. High traffic and a high social media following does not equal good content. Surely Google should at least give smaller website owners a fighting chance in this regard.

11. A MASSIVE problem, even more than the likes of Mashable and the like, is what drove me out of SEO in the end - big brand spam.

If you're BMW for example, you could spam the hell out of a site. Get the worst links in the world. Yet you will still rank. Why? Because if you search for "cars" and BMW doesn't show up, it doesn't make BMW look bad, it makes Google look like a bad search engine.

12. That's very true. It almost gives them a free pass to do whatever they want.

Unfortunately, the rest of us do not have that luxury.

13. I have no doubt they would have been re-indexed as soon as they removed the redirecting page. As Rhys says, it doesn't look good on Google if big brands do not come up in searches. Though I imagine they can hurt them by removing a lot of gateway pages to other areas of their website.

14. Glad you found it useful. Thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.