Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Got A Small Youtube Channel? Well, Now You Can't Display Ads

Discussion in 'The YouTubers Lounge' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jan 17, 2018.

1. I think I'm inclined to agree to be honest - they're simply insisting you reach a certain level before you can be an advert partner. There's zero impact on growth methods etc that you should be doing anyway in order to get your channel noticed, so that priority hasn't changed.

The only issue I have with this is is say if like me, you have a low number of subscribers and you post an epic video which gets 100,000's of views (here's hoping) .. you'll earn nothing from it because of your low sub count. In practice though, perhaps a high number of views would result in more subscribers coming onboard so it might not be a big issue at all.

It is an interesting strategy to watch unfold though I have to say - my money is on content creators making Twitch more relevant as time goes on. Donations, Patreon etc are potential alternatives - but again, you need an audience to make any real income.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  2. I've never been a big fan of the whole donations and patreon thing. It's rarely the most profitable and it means you're always asking for money etc.

I can understand the frustration this is causing a lot of people. The annoying thing is that this seems to be a reaction to what Logan Paul did and he can still monetise videos whilst others who follow the rules to a T cannot.

I saw someone say that they had 12,000 subscribers and only 3,000 hours of watch time so their channel cannot be monetised. When I checked stats the other day I saw that I had around 2,400 hours or so of watch time and 330 ish subscribers. So I am very surprised that the lady with 12,000 subscribers had such a low watch time. Not sure if she was doing sub for sub or using competitions to encourage people to subscribe.

I agree with what you're saying about uploading a killer video. You'd hope that uploading a killer video would make you eligible, but in theory you could upload a killer that generates a lot of views, however you could still be under their threshold.

Twitch is more focused on live streaming and gaming. I'm not sure a lot of content transfers well over there, but I do think we need more alternatives.

3. Presumably the View Hours is calculated on the number of seconds viewed, not "per click" on say, a 10 minute video... so that to me suggests people might click her videos but stop watching. Therefore her problem is poor content so I can see why this could be a viable way for Youtube to filter that type of stuff.

4. Yeah it could be her content. Or perhaps she just has more subscribers than she should have.

For example, I have came across channels that have four times as much subscribers as me but just a fraction of the watch time. A popular video could be enough to convince many people to subscribe but if they aren't coming back to watch videos the subscriber statistic is kinda irrelevant.

My main YouTube channel currently has 2,578 subscribers and YouTube says that within the last 12 months I have had 57,876 hours of watch time. It just goes to show that subscribers rarely paints the full picture of a channel.