Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Have Google Removed The Ability To Send Emails Through Their Server?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have dozens of email aliases in Gmail.

I went to add another email alias today and I couldn't see any option for sending emails via Google's servers. Normally there are two options. The first one recommends using their servers and the second asks if you want to define the SMTP server yourself.

gmail-email-alias.png

Has the option to send emails via Google's servers been completely removed? I have not been asked about to define custom SMTP servers for the previous email aliases that have been set up so all of those emails are fine. The problem appears to arise only with new email addresses.

Kevin

2. Hey Kevin! It is still there, but hidden. You simply need to change it to their SMTP server.

I actually just wrote this up last week which shows how. https://kinsta.com/knowledgebase/free-smtp-server/

I also just migrated all my Office 365 stuff to Gmail last week and went through this on probably 10+ accounts so I know it works. I have a feeling they simply removed the public option to cut back on people using it for free.

3. I'm surprised they are cutting back because it was always Google who advised using their servers, not your own.

I tried the settings recommended in that article but they aren't working. When I use SSL it advises me to check my username and password. When I try TLS it says "Your other email provider is responding too slowly. Please try again later or contact the administrator of your other domain for further information.". This is despite the fact I'm using Google G Suite (Google Apps) for my email.

I've tried every port and every possible configuration and verified my email and password and nothing is working. I suspect they are removing it altogether.

4. I just added another alias today for my woorkup.com domain. Example: [email protected]

SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com (it defaults now to your custom domain, u have to change this to gmail)
    username: use your personal gmail
    password: use your personal password
    TLS selected

Also, do you have two-factor authentication enabled on your personal gmail account?

It then forwards you a security code at your [email protected]. I use PoBox to forward addresses on @woorkup.com to my gmail. So the confirmation code was forwarded to me, i enter it in the box, and now i have [email protected] email address as an alias which I can use to send FROM my personal gmail.

Are you trying to set it up in the client?

5. It still isn't working for me. I get this error:

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    [Server response: 534-5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/signin/continue?sarp=1&scc=1&plt=AKgnsbsB 534-5.7.14 MleXjaWzeFdr9mjs-2Y246WLao4pbFaLjwxdKT-EyFaoqNoR6EyhN4vudJ2mPkRhrpwdeh 534-5.7.14 WIMvWYBumB5cGe8_blxT8_Rdy5qOfaxne1OpRuryrH7Abaq4419Qyt7QKQBbzfgZ_jZtAa 534-5.7.14 4T1l6CGAfZ4YTPm1qFh008-faWakwAjIwgBZ_9KaKK2hFAjg3rSUFXReaOWyqwR_6zAV10 534-5.7.14 rSN7IFGLH9oj7M_1VIG5lmm3-r3zw> Please log in via your web browser and 534-5.7.14 then try again. 534-5.7.14 Learn more at 534 5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78754 r62sm16729679wmd.4 - gsmtp code(534) ]
    I don't have two factor authentication. I am using my personal email address and not the one for Google Apps. Is that correct?

6. I noticed something similar a few weeks ago with WP Email Capture.

Generally I recommend sending people to use WP SMTP to send the emails through Gmail, but that doesn't seem to work now. I use Mailgun instead now which is going to be my recommendation going forward.

7. 10,000 emails every month seems pretty sweet. I don't see myself ever going over that. Have you been using it with Gmail for a while?

8. A bit. Yeah, mainly also for my main sites but the last few months I've had no problem sending that amount of emails.

My mailing lists are sent either through Mailchimp or Sendgrid though.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.