Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Hi, First Post - Genesis Framework

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by Daniel Knights, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All and thank you for having me in your Forum.

I would like to add a new widget in my Genesis Theme, so that I might insert a full width bar (around 3" tall) on my Front Page, but the only widgets available are:

Header Right.
    Home Top.
    Home Bottom.
    Footer 1.
    Footer 2
    Footer 3

I would like to add a bar so that I can add some video in between Home Bottom and Footer 1. Does anyone know how to do this? Because the theme comes free with my hosting, I do not have theme support.

Any help will be greatly received.

Thanks - Daniel

2. Hi Daniel.

Great to have you here.

Which particular Genesis theme are you using? Genesis comes with some sidebar widget zones, but you may be using one that has no sidebars.

The Genesis hook system might be a better route to go down.

You can use the plugin Genesis Simple Hooks to insert code into one of the many Genesis hooks that are available.

The Genesis Visual Hook Guide and its corresponding WordPress plugin will help you see where hooks are positioned.

You probably want to use the hook genesis_before_footer, but check the hook guides referenced above to be certain :)

Kevin

Daniel Knights likes this.
  3. Thanks Kevin,

I am using Genesis Pro Theme. I looked at the hooks option but could not get my head around it.

I'm not able to put links in yet but perhaps you can look at my devsite which is danielknghts(dot)pw/devsite (I'm not doing it for backlinks as this really is a test / building site.

Let's see if that works.

I see you are an admin, I hope you are ok with that.

Thanks again - Daniel

4. Hi Daniel.

I looked at your devsite (you had missed out the i in knights).

Most Genesis themes have pro in the title. The one you are using is called Enterprise Pro. That design definitely has sidebar widgets in it, however I still believe hooks are the best way to do this.

Please look at the hooks again. Installing the hooks plugin will allow you to add code directly into the area you want.

Kevin

5. Thanks again,

How do I get to the code part from the WP Dashboard?

Daniel

6. Hi @Daniel Knights
    I'm pretty familiar with Genesis, it's possible what you want to do, but it's not as simple as it might look like.

First thing, you need to register custom sidebar:
    PHP:
    <?php
    //* Do NOT include the opening php tag shown above. Copy the code shown below.

//* Register custom widget area
    genesis_register_sidebar( array(

'id'            => 'before-footer',

'name'          => __'My custom widget''enterprise-pro' ), 

'description'   => __'This is a widget area that can be placed after the post''enterprise-pro' ),
    ) );
    These are the 3 most important options.
    1. The “id” must be a unique ID and uses all lower case, no special characters, or spaces. You can use numbers.
    2. The “name” is more flexible, you can use spaces and other characters. This identifies the sidebar in the dashboard.
    3. The “description” is used in the dashboard to help describe where the widget area will be used.

To display this widget area in your theme, you have two options. You can place the widget code directly in a template file such as home.php, where you wish to display the widget area.

PHP:
    <?php

//* Hook after post widget area after post content
    genesis_widget_area'before-footer', array( 'before' => '<div class="before-footer widget-area">''after' => '</div>',
    You can also display the widget area using a hook. This example adds the widget area after the post content
    PHP:
    <?php

//* Hook after post widget area after post content
    add_action'genesis_after_entry''sp_before_footer_widget' );
        function 
    sp_before_footer_widget() {

genesis_widget_area'before-footer', array(

'before' => '<div class="before-footer widget-area">',

'after' => '</div>',
        ) );
    }
    The genesis_after_entry determines where it will appear. Full cheat sheet for hooks is here : https://genesistutorials.com/visual-hook-guide/
    So for example if you want it to be fullwidth, better idea would be using genesis_after_content

At the end don't forget about CSS :)

Give it a try :) If you'll fail, drop me an email at kris[herecomesbanana]hogstudio.com

7. Thanks Kris,

Sorry to sound dim, but how do I get to those php files (I'm on a Mac), Is it inspect elements or do I go to the editor from the WP Dashboard and chose Widgets?

Thanks for your help - Daniel

8. Great post Kris. I am sure many WordPress users will find that useful.

If you have no experience with modifying WordPress theme templates, my advice would be to stay away from making edits like this as you could easily make a mistake and mess up your website design. Or better yet, hire someone who can make the edits for you :)

9. OK Kevin,

point taken. I just thought it would be better for on-page SEO purposes to have a Youtube video on the front page of your site.

Cheers - Daniel

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  10. If you have no basic coding experience, get a drag and drop theme like Divi :)

11. Thanks,

Will have a look at that

12. Kris's suggestion is a good one. You could use a user-friendly drag and drop builder such as Divi Builder or Visual Composer to help you style your pages more easily.

Be sure to let us know if you need any more help.

:)

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.