Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

How Do You Ensure Header Tags Are Consistent For Seo Purposes?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, May 12, 2017.

1. I know that header tags should be used in a heirarchal basis. H1, then H2, then H3, and so on.

On my blog the article title is used with an H1 tag and I use H2 tags for headings within the article. I then used H3 tags for sub-headings.

I am changing some things in my webmaster resources area and I want to ensure that all of the pages are consistent from an SEO point of view as I noticed I had been using H4 tags before (clearly a mistake).

On the directory pages I want to use:
    • H1 - Page title
    • H2 - Sections
    • H3 - Resource listings
    Take my blogging platforms page, for example. The page title "Blogging Platforms" would use an H1 tag, sections such as "Free Hosting Blogging Platforms" would use an H2 tag, and individual resource listings such would be linked using an H3 tag.

This makes sense and it's how I want to do it across all resources pages.

However, in many of my resource pages I don't have sections. For example, my social media services page does not require sections.

How should I structure pages like that?

Should I continue to use (Option 1):
    • H1 - Page title
    • H3 - Resource listings
    Or should resource listings be upgraded to H2 tags (Option 2)
    • H1 - Page title
    • H2 - Resource listings
    The first option ensures that header tags are consistent across all resource pages i.e. all resource link titles are using a H3 tag.

However, doing this means that those pages have an H1 tag, multiple H3 tags, but no H2 tags. From an SEO heirarchy point of view, that doesn't seem right.

I realise that search engines figures a lot of things out so that website owners aren't penalised, but I would still like to follow best practices.

How do you think I should use header tags on resource pages that don't require sections and section headers?

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. I'm a little bit out of SEO related stuff, but I'd keep tags hierarchy h1, h2, h3.
    Just checked your site source code and you have just few schema.org markers here and there. I'd suggest adding some filters in genesis with microdata or manually. Especially on reviews pages :)

3. Yeah I need to go through all of those pages and ensure I have added a meta description and keyword. That's on my todo list. It's something I definitely need to do.

Yoast apparently adds some microdata. Is there a way to handle this directly through Genesis?

4. Ya, I would definitely keep the hierarchy.

5. So you would recommend me changing resource listings from H3 to H2 on pages where H2 isn't being used for section headers?

6. Correct... always use them in order when possible. So yes, replace the H3 to H2 where you didn't have H2 before. There is no way to know how much this affects anything, but it definitely can only help.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  7. Thanks. I will follow that in all resource pages. :)

8. Some are present right away, but for more features you'd have to use custom post templates (or formats) but it will require some (or a little bit more :) ) coding.

9. What kind of information would these custom post templates add to my pages?

10. I mean it's maybe not hard, but a bit tricky to add several filters into one post type - default post, ex based on its category, like different micro data added to review header/content/summary, etc and ex. basic blog post or even video.

By adding custom templates for videos/reviews/posts you can add different sections, micro data tags, even styling :)
    And I mean custom post templates, not custom post types, so you'll pick post template inside default post editor screen

[​IMG]

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  11. Would this help from an SEO point of view?

Microdata is not something I have focused on in the past. I have found that some SEO tasks don't pay off the work required to complete them. Not sure if this is one of those things or whether it will help increase organic traffic.

12. To be honest, I don't know :)
    I've read that micro data doesn't have any impact on Google algorithm but it will display your pages on search results page with much more cool look.

13. This.

It makes your site stand out a lot - have a look at this image:-

[​IMG]

Which two results immediately stand out to you?

Kevin Muldoon and Kris Hoja like this.