Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

How to Set Expiration Dates

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by William, Jul 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTmetrix: http://gtmetrix.com/reports/firstquarterfinance.com/Ggfggl4x says I need to specify expiration dates on my images. Fine. My plugin (WP Super Cache) doesn't seem to have a place to set these times. So I've read I need to set the times in a .htaccess file. I don't have one and don't know how to install one. The how-to guides have all been over my head.

I'd like to just use a plugin but there's no decent ones available to resolve the issue.

Anyone know where there's a how-to guide to fix this? My site runs so slowly (3.53s).

I've been researching this for an hour. Thank you!

2. If you're on WordPress then you have one in your root directory, check again :)

3. You may not be able to view your .htaccess file if you have not selected to view hidden files via your FTP or host file manager. Be sure to check the option to see hidden files. There is also an possiblity that you never created a .htaccess file or have deleted it by mistake. In that case, just create a blank text file and upload it and then WordPress should be able to modify it if permissions are correct. If you are using friendly permalinks, the file will be there already.

Check out this article for a full explanation on how to create and upload the file.

4. I have pretty permalinks but I just changed the setting is wordpress. The .htaccess file isn't in my editor. After reading that ET article I'm afraid I'll crash my site. Is there another way to set image expiration dates without messing with the .htaccess file? No plugins seems available. Perhaps I can switch to a new caching plugin that will have it as an option..

5. That's the best way to do it. It's not too difficult. I am swamped with work over the next three or four days, but if this can wait until I am free, then I could jump on Google+ hangouts or Skype and walk you through it with you :)

6. Cool, I appreciate the offer Kevin! I've decided I'll go ahead and add the follow code to the file myself:

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
    ExpiresDefault "access 2 days"
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES CACHING ##

Do these time frames look okay?
    I found this info via:
    http://thomasgriffinmedia.com/blog/...ge-browser-caching-in-wordpress-via-htaccess/

I would have taken care of this last night but the network I'm on was having a heck of a time access my files thru Bluehost. Support had me run a
    traceroute and I'm waiting for their response to see what's going on.

7. Before you do anything, backup your existing .htaccess file. This will allow you to overwrite any .htaccess file that is causing errors.

Mine is generated through my cache plugin. This is what I currently have.

Code:
    # Expires headers (for better cache control)
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive on

# Perhaps better to whitelist expires rules? Perhaps.
    ExpiresDefault                          "access plus 1 month"

# cache.appcache needs re-requests in FF 3.6 (thanks Remy ~Introducing HTML5)
    ExpiresByType text/cache-manifest       "access plus 0 seconds"

# Your document html
    ExpiresByType text/html                 "access plus 0 seconds"

# Data
    ExpiresByType text/xml                  "access plus 0 seconds"
    ExpiresByType application/xml           "access plus 0 seconds"
    ExpiresByType application/json          "access plus 0 seconds"

# Feed
    ExpiresByType application/rss+xml       "access plus 1 hour"
    ExpiresByType application/atom+xml      "access plus 1 hour"

# Favicon (cannot be renamed)
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon              "access plus 1 week"

# Media: images, video, audio
    ExpiresByType image/gif                 "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/png                 "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg                "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType video/ogg                 "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType audio/ogg                 "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType video/mp4                 "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType video/webm                "access plus 1 month"

# HTC files  (css3pie)
    ExpiresByType text/x-component          "access plus 1 month"

# Webfonts
    ExpiresByType application/x-font-ttf    "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType font/opentype             "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-font-woff   "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/svg+xml             "access plus 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/vnd.ms-fontobject "access plus 1 month"

# CSS and JavaScript
    ExpiresByType text/css                  "access plus 1 year"
    ExpiresByType application/javascript    "access plus 1 year"

</IfModule>

8. Hmm. Should I just switch caching plugins? I'm currently on WP Super Cache. W3 Total Cache wasn't working well for me before. What do you run?

9. I'm currently using WP Rocket on my personal blog. I have pleased with it so far, though WP Super Cache should work correctly if you simply edit your .htaccess file. I am happy to help you with this in a few days :)

10. Help would be amazing! I mean, do I just open the .htaccess file and throw in the code you posted? Or could that throw a catastrophic error?

11. Show me the code that your .htaccess has and the code you want to add. I will then show you exactly what your file should look like :)

12. Here's what's in the file currently:

Code:
    # Use PHP5.4 as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php54 .php

# BEGIN WPSuperCache
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*[^/]$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^.*//.*$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} !POST
    RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} !.*=.*
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:X-Wap-Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Profile} !^[a-z0-9\"]+ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP:Accept-Encoding} gzip
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTP:Cookie} !^.*(comment_author_|wordpress_logged_in|wp-postpass_).*$
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} !^.*(2.0\ MMP|240x320|400X240|AvantGo|BlackBerry|Blazer|Cellphone|Danger|DoCoMo|Elaine/3.0|EudoraWeb|Googlebot-Mobile|hiptop|IEMobile|KYOCERA/WX310K|LG/U990|MIDP-2.|MMEF20|MOT-V|NetFront|Newt|Nintendo\ Wii|Nitro|Nokia|Opera\ Mini|Palm|PlayStation\ Portable|portalmmm|Proxinet|ProxiNet|SHARP-TQ-GX10|SHG-i900|Small|SonyEricsson|Symbian\ OS|SymbianOS|TS21i-10|UP.Browser|UP.Link|webOS|Windows\ CE|WinWAP|YahooSeeker/M1A1-R2D2|iPhone|iPod|Android|BlackBerry9530|LG-TU915\ Obigo|LGE\ VX|webOS|Nokia5800).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_user_agent} !^(w3c\ |w3c-|acs-|alav|alca|amoi|audi|avan|benq|bird|blac|blaz|brew|cell|cldc|cmd-|dang|doco|eric|hipt|htc_|inno|ipaq|ipod|jigs|kddi|keji|leno|lg-c|lg-d|lg-g|lge-|lg/u|maui|maxo|midp|mits|mmef|mobi|mot-|moto|mwbp|nec-|newt|noki|palm|pana|pant|phil|play|port|prox|qwap|sage|sams|sany|sch-|sec-|send|seri|sgh-|shar|sie-|siem|smal|smar|sony|sph-|symb|t-mo|teli|tim-|tosh|tsm-|upg1|upsi|vk-v|voda|wap-|wapa|wapi|wapp|wapr|webc|winw|winw|xda\ |xda-).* [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html" [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WPSuperCache

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

I have little knowledge as to what all this should really look like. I've toyed with the idea of replacing the Super Cache bit with:

Code:
    ## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    Thoughts?

13. This should work. Try using this in your .htaccess file.

Code:
    # Use PHP5.4 as default
    AddHandler application/x-httpd-php54 .php

# BEGIN WPSuperCache
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    #If you serve pages from behind a proxy you may want to change 'RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on' to something more sensible
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html.gz" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index-https.html" [L]

RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !on
    RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*) "/wp-content/cache/supercache/%{SERVER_NAME}/$1/index.html" [L]

## EXPIRES CACHING ##

ExpiresActive On
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES CACHING ##
    # End WPSuperCache

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

14. @Kevin Muldoon Yes, thank you very much for this!

Unfortunately the only network I've had access to for the past week isn't cooperating with Bluehost. Either today or tomorrow I will be able to get to another location and replace the code. Thanks again!

15. Just let us know if you get it working. I should have more free time this week. So if you are still needing help with this, I could jump on Skype and help you with it :)

16. Okay, I used this code and my GTmetrix grade for server caching went from an 'E' to a 'C'. Can I just adjust the times to a bit further out? Or should I replace all the code with something else?

This is what the report says:
    Leverage browser caching
    C (71)
    60%
    Server High
    What does this mean?
    The following cacheable resources have a short freshness lifetime. Specify an expiration at least one week in the future for the following resources:

17. I don't believe you can control the expiration date of external files from Google Adsense, Twitter etc.

Most of the other files are Javascript files. I am unsure as to why they are expiring after two days if you added code that told them to expire in one month.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Could a WordPress theme or plugin override the settings defined in .htaccess?

18. Okay I'm running a plugin called 'Asynchronous Javascript'. It solved my 'minify javascript' issue I was having according to GTmetrix - changing my grade from an E to strong A. But it has triggered this problem. I'll contact the plugin's author and see if I can edit the plugin's code. I browsed through it and I don't know what to change.

19. It could be worth trying a different minification plugin to resolve the minify javascript issue. Let us know how you get on :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.