Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

If I build it, will they come?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Heather, Jun 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I bought a domain name a while back called Blog Right Now. I don't really have time at the moment, I occasionally wonder if I could make a little passive income by setting this up and including affiliate links. It wouldn't really be passive since I would have to write for it. I guess I'm thinking articles about things I've learned so far about blogging to help other beginners. Although I'm no expert, I know way more than I used to.

I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to put in the work to start it, but then maintain it somewhat minimally.

I also have questions about starting a website focusing on being an Amazon affiliate site. But I'll ask later as its own thread.

I don't have a lot of time right now to put it mildly, but I need to get these questions out of my head so I can have some knowledge to work from. :)

Also, what do you think of the name BlogRightNow?

2. It should only take you a few hours to setup the blog. You could then set yourself a schedule of, say, one good blog post per week.

The question is: Is that time you can afford to commit to this project? Would it be better spent developing HappinessMama?

With regards to the name, I think BlogRightNow is good :)

Jason Quey likes this.
  3. You're right, I definitely don't have time for that. I can't seem to do one post a week for HM. I'm doing one every two weeks. I was going to try for one a week, but then I decided to do a podcasting training/support program, so I'm actually trying to simplify and see what I can cut out. It's also summer break here, so my sweet older daughter is home from school, and that means I have a little less time than I did before to work on stuff.

I really need to think about what I can let go of for now, because I really want to focus on getting my podcast off the ground while I'm doing this program, if possible.

I appreciate you responding. It's good for me to talk about these ideas with someone, just to help me get clear on what I need and really want to do right now. I'm going to hang on to that domain (actually I have the .com and the .net) for now. I'll think about it later on.

I'm glad you like the name. I was thinking along the lines of empowering people to start their blogs right now, and also teaching them how to blog "right", as in, correctly. :) I'm sure we can all relate to having more ideas than we have time for.

4. I think everyone feels the pull of creating multiple websites in the first few years working online. At one point I had dozens of websites in my portfolio, most of which were smaller. It was only when I started to focus on one project at a time that I started finding success.

Splitting your time between too many projects can be a killer. I learned that the hard way. I think it is much better to develop a website/company to the point where you can hire others to keep it running. Then you can think about other projects to move onto.

However, if you have grown tired of maintaining a website, you always have the option of selling it or just stop updating it.

So are you going to launch a podcast soon?

Heather likes this.
  5. Thank you for the words of wisdom about not spreading myself thin. I agree! I am going to keep my focus on Happiness Mama, which is where I really want and need it to be.

Yes!!! I've been saying I'm going to do it for a while now, and I am so ready to get it going. Partly because I think it will be fun! And partly because I think it just fits in with my goals and can help drive traffic to my blog and build my brand, etc. And I'm trying to be brave and go boldly where I haven't gone before. And try things and make mistakes. (I guess I'm just saying, if I decide I don't like it or something, fine. But I want to do this, I want to try it.)

Right now my plan is to have it air twice a month, and so for the blog, I'll have article/podcast/article/podcast (2 posts a month, 2 podcasts a month). I think once a week would be better, but I know me and my time limitations, so for now, that's the plan.

I can tell you more later. :)

OH, one more thing. Feel free to mention this from time to time and ask me how it's going. ;) I welcome the accountability.

I made a master to do list for my podcast a while back, and my next step is to make sure my microphone is set up right, download Audacity, schedule my first interviews, and do them.

6. Yeah I think keeping Blog Right Now in the backburner just now is a good idea.

Looking forward to hearing your first podcast. Be sure to let us know when it's online and we can have a listen.

Heather likes this.
  7. Thanks! I'll be sure to let you all know.

With your video recording, has it taken a while to get used to seeing and hearing yourself on video? I have a feeling it might take me a long time to get used to the sound of my voice on recordings. :)

8. Mmmm. I guess I am more comfortable with it now. I have noticed that I am a little more comfortable in front of the camera, so I am think I am improving ever so slightly every month.

It's no different to any skill. You will suck at first, then start improving, and after a while you will be really confident and that will shine through in your podcasts. :)

Heather likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.