Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Is Displaying Dofollow Sponsor Links Terrible For Seo?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm thinking of adding a sponsorship option on my blog posts that allows people to buy ads on a post by post basis.

For example, it would say "This article is sponsored by X" or something to that effect.

I found one solution. It's not perfect, but it does allow me to do that and does have the option of making links nofollow.

Would nofollow be absolutely necessary? Would it be SEO suicide to leave links as dofollow?

I don't want to hurt search engine rankings, but I also know that if links aren't dofollow, it is unlikely that anyone would want to buy links on a post by post basis.

Thoughts?

:)

2. Officially you should nofollow the links.

Unofficially though I find it's far easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.....I have often (accidentally) had dofollow links and not noticed anything.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  3. The only time I use the nofollow tag is when I link to a known spam website or something like that.

I always just link naturally. The way I see it, who am I to tell any search engine how much juice to pass etc. My focus should be on content.

Of course, I realise Google thinks differently about this and they have been known to punish websites for next to nothing.

4. The big question is, are these also affiliate links? If so, they should be nofollow. If not, you should be fine with dofollow.

5. No they would not be affiliate links.

For example, if you wanted to sponsor a blog post, I would recommend Woorkup.com and link directly using the domain URL. No tracking or masking would take place.

6. Another reason I think you would be fine is that you said you are doing it per post right? If they were sitewide links then I probably would nofollow them. But if they are on an individual basis, leaving them dofollow could actually help you. Having external links to high domain authority sites is also a ranking factor... although not nearly as much as to your site of course.

7. That's good to know Brian. I'm going to look at the plugins available and see if I can set something up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.