Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Is It Safe To Deactivate Plugins?

Discussion in 'WordPress Questions & Support' started by Heather, May 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am still having that problem where my Thrive Content Builder isn't working to save my connection when I try to connect the opt-in form to Mailchimp.

So I'm trying to deactivate my plugins one by one to see if maybe that's why it's not working.

One problem though is that I'm afraid I'll mess something up by turning off a plugin.

Am I wrong to worry about that? Can I just deactivate and reactivate them without causing a problem?

Thank you.

2. .....it should be fine, dependant on how the plugins are set up. Some plugins do delete information on deactivation, but it's would be a horribly dickish thing to do (generally you would do it on deletion, rather than deactivation), and - to be honest - most plugin authors wouldn't know how to.

So feel free to deactivate it, but I'd probably make a backup beforehand. Just to be 100% sure.

Heather likes this.
  3. Exactly that - exactly what Rhys said. :)

Heather likes this.
  4. Not true. Deactivate Jetpack, and you lose the activation token that maintains the connection.

Raspal likes this.
  5. I've seen some plugins delete the data on deactivation.

Some others have an option in their settings which delete the data on disabling the plugin, or leave it.

Always, before making any changes, ask yourself - do I have a recent backup? If not, stop and don't proceed till you have a backup.

Rhys Wynne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.