Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Keyword Research before Blog Posts

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Brian Jackson, Dec 7, 2014.

?
  1. Yes, Always

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Sometimes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I Should Be

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Brian Jackson, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Hey everyone,

So I started to type something to post on here and I ended up typing half a page lol. So I decided to turn it into a blog post instead :) You can read it here: http://brianjackson.io/little-seo-keyword-research-increased-reach-170/

As you can see I increased my reach by 170% with only 2 minutes of keyword research.

I am very curious though how many of you are doing keyword research on your blog posts before posting them? Especially on those posting 1,000+ word articles? If you aren't I highly advise you do so.

Great SEO Keyword Research Tools
    Free Tools:
    Premium Tools:
    I personally use all three of these tools below on a regular basis and highly recommend them.
    • Web CEO (this is the research tool I use the most because it also allows me to do local SEO keyword research per city which is crucial for my local clients)
    • KWFinder
    • SEMRush
    Looking forward to hearing your answers :). Or feel free to ask questions. Maybe you aren't doing this and you want to learn more about how to do it? I would be happy to help.

Jerry Low, Sanjay Ojha and Heather like this.
  2. haha It's funny you say that as I do the same too. I have started writing some new topics on here and then the content got longer and longer. Therefore, I published it as a blog post instead.

I do next to no keyword research. I generally just use something descriptive and ensure I include the name of the product or service in my headline and page slug. It's perhaps a little lazy and I could be getting more traffic if I took some time to check keywords before publishing.

Though I also think some website owners over analyse these things and spend too much tweaking things like that. Also, if everyone is targeting the keywords that have more searches, is there not a risk of that term being more competitive? Could a website owner get more from the long tail by going against the grain?

I am not saying that we should always do everything different, but also feel a lot of my traffic has come from keywords that I would never have expected.

3. I really liked your article, Brian, and this is something I have been wondering about and wanting to learn.

I definitely have questions. Maybe a year ago I was reading an ebook and read about this in relation to choosing a niche for website. But I didn't completely understand it then, and I don't remember much about it.

I feel like I don't know where to start (learning about it). Like... I don't know what keywords I should be targeting or how to interpret the results. Have you seen a good little summary about it? I can Google it, though.

I'm sure I'll have some q's for you, but I think my baby's waking up.

4. @Kevin Muldoon Ya I guess what I was more saying was maybe take just 2-3 minutes and do some quick keyword research beforehand. Doesn't have to be a lot of time. But a one word difference in the title could have a big impact. I do agree sometimes SEO guys can go a little overboard with it (me included). And yes you want to gauge where you think you can still rank and where the competition might be too great. That's why in that article I actually was ranking for "reporting tool" as well but left it out of results because there is no way i will rank for that and it is too broad.

And yes, the opposite like you said is true too... sometimes you can even get traffic from keywords you might not have ever thought of.

Thanks @Heather! I'm going to write up a short blog post on keyword research for beginners that people can use. Someone else commented on that post wanting one too. There are great advanced guides like this one from Neil... http://www.quicksprout.com/the-advanced-guide-to-seo-chapter-6/ but even I don't spend that much time doing analysis. I might for clients but not when it comes to posting articles on my blog. I am talking about just taking 2 minutes to help boost your post a bit.

Heather and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  5. It would be interesting to do a case study on this Brian. A few of us could participate.

Let's say we all write a review of a particular product or service. We could draw up a list of keywords that are related to the product or service. I could use one keyword in my headline, you could use another, Heather could use another.

We then ensure the article is a specific length e.g. 500 words or 1,000 words (give or take 100 words). And to make it as fair as possible, we all publish the articles on the same day and make a promise to just write the article in the same way as you normally would i.e. no keyword stuffing or anything else like that which could affect results.

We could also promise not to do any promotion of our reviews. We can automatically share it to our social media followers, however we will not email other blogs for links or pay for advertising. Nor will be link to the review from other websites we own or other pages on our website (beyond category links, archive links, recent posts etc). Organic links would obviously be allowed as that is not something we could stop.

The bottom line is that this is not a competition to see who can get the most traffic from the review. It's an attempt to see what factors really influence traffic to an article and is in the interest of all of us to be open and transparent about every aspect of the review.

After a month or so, we could all compare the results. We could look at where our reviews are listed in the SERPS and whether other factors such as the existing traffic/readership of a blog influenced the final result. We could also see whether the keywords with the most searches did actually provide the most traffic. This could help us see whether long tail search engine traffic was a factor too.

Finally, we could all discuss the issue on our blogs. I think it would be an interesting case study. We wouldn't even have to spend too much time on it. We could even place a small limit on a review such as 500 words. Or we could do something different like a tutorial or a news story.

With so many of us owning blogs, we should be doing things like this more often :)

StoneCodeFox and Heather like this.
  6. @Brian Jackson I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

@Kevin Muldoon That sounds like fun and a great idea, and I'm up for it. Sadly, my blog gets so little traffic. Although since it's practically still a secret it's a wonder it gets any. :) Anyway, it would be interesting to see what happens, especially with my lack of traffic.

Here is a question... When you do a keyword search for something you think would lead to one of your posts, is there an easy way to find out what page your post is on in SERPs without having to manually search for it, page by page?

Brian Jackson likes this.
  7. Yeah there are services that help you do that. You enter your keyword and your URL and it will tell you what page of the SERPs your URL is listed (if at all).

8. Do you have to pay for them?

9. Brian Jackson and Heather like this.
  10. @Brian Jackson Just read this - thanks for the informative case study.

We do more or less the same thing with most posts at WHSR as well. A simple search on Google Trends (or SEO tools that you mentioned) would help us using the "right terms" for our titles and headlines - which in turn, help us rank better on search engines. Basic SEO - which I believe most bloggers will do when they are first starting out; but forget/too lazy to practice as they go along.

To add on to your tool list (which is already GREAT), I use SpyFu to determine if the keywords are profitable (paid tool, kinda expensive though) and Buzz Sumo (freemium - I am not even a member, yet) to check on social media engagements potential.

11. Yeah i agree your point. Keyword research is the backbone of SEO. Without proper keyword research we can not get success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.