Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Looking for a WordPress Plugin That Publishes a Gallery of Blog Posts or Pages

Discussion in 'WordPress Plugins' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jan 14, 2015.

1. I am sure I have seen a plugin like this before, but for the life of me I cannot find it (I imagine it is somewhere on CodeCanyon).

I am looking for a plugin that lets me publish a list of posts on a page using a shortcode. The posts would be listed with the post thumbnail and the post title. Ideally, it would support pages too.

For example, if I had 25 posts about a specific topic, I could list all of these posts using thumbnails on a dedicated page. In essence, I will be repackaging up a lot of my old content and highlighting them on a page that displays their thumbnail and post.

Does anyone know of a plugin like this?

Kevin

Heather likes this.
  2. Thanks Sanjay.

Get Post List With Thumbnails seems like it could be exactly what I am looking for. I will try this out later today :)

Sanjay Ojha likes this.
  3. #4 Kris Hoja, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    Wouldn't it be faster by using page template and then query the posts?
    Something like this (untested ;) )
    PHP:
    $args = array(

'post__in' => array(43,23,65);
    );
    $posts get_posts($args);
    foreach (
    $posts as $p) :

//post!
    endforeach;
    or

PHP:
    $myarray = array('144''246');

$args = array(

'post_type' => 'ai1ec_event',

'post__in'      => $myarray
    );
    // The Query
    $the_query = new WP_Query$args );
    And if you disagree, here is that plugin :) http://codecanyon.net/item/grid-fx-ultimate-grid-plugin-for-wordpress/5615317

Kevin Muldoon and Sanjay Ojha like this.
  4. Thanks Kris.

I thought a plugin solution would be better as it would have better styling. Plus I wouldn't have to create a new page template every time I changed themes.

I have reviewed GridFX in the past; but forgot it could do that. I might give that a try as it still actively updated and looks flexible enough to do what I need.

5. Well for such a simple job I would simply create a function with shortcode. Thats best and can be changed from template to template, and gives you better control on the output.

Kris Hoja likes this.
  6. Would you design it as a plugin Prakash?

7. Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  8. That looks really good Kris. It does not display thumbnails, however I could display an image at the top of each category and display the links underneath. I might give that a try.

9. I guess you could also modify the plugin core a little bit to display thumbnails, should be pretty easy :)

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  10. The plugin can actually display thumbnails. I'm playing around with it now. I'll let you know when I have completed the page so you can see what it looks like.

11. Wow, nice one! :) And at least currently updated.

12. Yeah. I am going to start with a simple list first and build up the list of reviews. Then I will look at how I can customise the list with thumbnails and descriptions etc. Looks like it's pretty flexible.

13. I will see if I can create a custom function that anyone can use in their functions.php > I personally feel there is no need for additional plugins to do this job as I have done this in my custom themes many a times!

14. #16 Brian Jackson, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Ya that is an awesome plugin Kevin!!! I am totally using that for some of my checklist pages. I also just completely redesigned my Archives page with that plugin: http://brianjackson.io/archives/ Awesome.

15. I think a plugin is useful for something like this as I do not have to create a new template every time I change theme. Plus I do not have to spend time debugging it as the plugin developer handles that.

I appreciate someone with your experience would handle this yourself.

Have you become familiar with the custom templates yet? On the plugin developer page I saw examples of template designs, but I did not see the code for those templates.

16. On this page the example code is below it: http://w4dev.com/wp/w4-post-list-examples

upload_2015-1-18_12-52-14.png
    He also has template examples in the plugin under documentation.

upload_2015-1-18_12-52-45.png

I am using a custom template for my archive page that I kind of pieced together:

Code:
    [groups]
    <h4>[group_title]</h4>
    <ul class="list-archives">
    [posts]
    <li>[title]</li>
    <span style="font-size:14px; padding-left:10px;">Published on the [post_date format="jS"] and <span style="border-bottom:1px dashed #DDD;">Updated on [post_modified_date format="m/d/Y"]</span> with [post_comment_count] comments.</span>
    <br />
    [/posts]
    </ul>
    [/groups]
    with a style of this:

Code:
    #w4pl-list-13972 li{ background-color: #f9f8f8; margin-top:-10px; padding-top: 10px; padding-left:10px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-right:20px; }

CMPlugins, Shazzad and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  17. I'm an idiot. I didn't realise he was displaying the code behind that drop down menu.

Thanks for that. I am going to play around with it and see what I come up with.

Kris Hoja likes this.
  18. I have only been playing around with this a few minutes, but I can see a lot of ways this could be used to display content on a website.

It could even be used to display links to areas of your website on the home page.