Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Losing the Love For Your WordPress Theme

Discussion in 'WordPress Themes' started by Kevin Muldoon, Mar 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently reverted my WordPress theme back to the Genesis framework. This was not something I thought I would do as I haven't really loved any of their newer designs; however I still love the default Genesis sample template as it has a simple clean design.

I came to the conclusion that I had to change my theme after playing around with different page builders. The limitations of the design I was using before meant that I had to make many edits to it just to get basic things right.

For example, the theme didn't even have a full width page template. When you chose "No Sidebar", it just removed the sidebar, placed the content in the centre, and left annoying big white spaces at the left and right hand side of the page. I am puzzled as to why anyone would want this look.

There are many other little things that the theme needed changed. I could spend time changing them and adding the features that were missing. It's not as if adding a full width page template would be difficult. However, I came to the conclusion that it would be a waste of my time as I no longer liked the design.

This happens frequently over time. When I first purchase a WordPress theme, I love the design. After a year or so, I grow to dislike the design as it feels outdated.

I guess it is no different to any type of product, whether it be a laptop or a car. You can try and upgrade it and add new features, but eventually you realise that you are fighting a losing battle and it is much more productive to simply replace the product altogether.

Are any of you in this position just now?

Have you grown old of your WordPress theme and looking for a change?

Kevin

Raspal and Heather like this.
  2. Yes, me, me, me! I am really getting tired of my current theme. It's starting to get really bad. Like when I look at it, my first thought is, "I have got to change this!"

But I haven't sat down to really plan what I want to do. I do have some ideas, like I want the header/banner thing to look good and more up to date, although I'm not sure what I do want. I want a "cleaner" design, even though mine is pretty good. And... other than that, I'm not sure. It's on my list to do this year, hopefully in the next few months.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  3. Kind of interesting, and perhaps your needs may differ from others. I am sure it all goes with the final aim. For instance, when you say that you used page builds to archive an individual purpose with your theme, it implies that you are not a developer or your knowledge is not too extensive to dig into the code and changed it according to your needs, which is understandable, as page builders are a set of tools aiming for a more friendly approach.

When you buy a theme, at the beginning of it, if you install demo data and keep the default settings that comes along with it, it tends to leave you with disdain toward your site. This mostly because when you check other sites using the very same theme, the thematic and overall display often is pretty much the same. To avoid this, you should never use demo content, or attempt to setup differently so that it does not resemble much to the original demo.

You may get tired of the design after a while or feel that it looks outdated, mostly because the changes you have done with it, are not significant enough to give it an excellent, personal touch. I read the other day about another news source that during a whole year did over 15,000 minor changes to their bought theme, and after this long, the theme doesn't look anything alike the demo. With my site, almost daily, I do small changes here and there and months after, there is something different and way more polished than the initial display.

Last year I bought a theme for my site, and I was quite pleased with it. Months later I realized the developer was not updating it as he should and encountered a couple of bugs as well. Recently, I did not renew my support license with him and decided to carry on with the updates, bug fixings, and customizations by myself. Since then much has changed, and I consider the theme at least 10% mine, and I intend to keep it going until it turns into something entirely different.

When you change a theme for another, there are also other things you should consider, for instance, the colors. It may seem odd, but my company adopted scales of green and gray, with some hints of "dirty" white to the misture two years ago. In fact, we are until the date the only online site in the field that is greenish. When we changed to green, we also changed all our brand, and after a while when people saw certain green medias, they quickly identified it with my company. It became a trademark of our own, a personal touch. So, having this in mind, when changing theme perhaps it would be better for you to keep the same colors along with it.

4. I am not a developer so I always buy premium themes. Before the premium WordPress market was good, I used to hire designers to do custom designs, but there is no need to do that now given the thousands of template available online.

I don't want to spend too much time tweaking my design. I want the focus to be on content and too much time modifying and tweaking things means that I am not spending enough time actually producing content.

The colour scheme is not something I have given too much thought to but I do appreciate it is important.

Heather and Alex de Borba like this.
  5. I have my eye on Elegant Theme's new Extra theme. It's a magazine style theme that seems to have a ton of functionality and uses their new Divi Builder which I love. If you haven't used their Divi Builder in awhile, they've made several enhancements which allow you to make major customizations without having to change the CSS yourself. I just need the extra time to play with it which I haven't had lately.

6. Oops nevermind...I just saw your post on ET Extra.

7. As a theme developer it is interesting to hear that users get a bit bored of a design after a while. It's something I can totally relate to as we feel the need to update our website design at least once a year just to keep it looking fresh and up to date with modern design and competitors. I guess it is a good thing from our point of view that theme users want to update regularly. It pushes us to make new more exciting designs.

8. This happens to me more often than i'd like it to.

I wind up spending so much time looking for the right theme (or closest thing to it), build up a site with it, then later down the road decide it's just not doing it for me any more. What usually triggers this for me is that I will see a site somewhere and like the theme. This then triggers me into a research, testing, trial and error process.

I have been wanting to go out and do some research and testing for a new "Perfect" theme, but haven't had time lately.

This DEFINITELY happens too often for my liking! ;)

9. Hi Kevin,

Would you like to try our Complete Pro theme for Free? Of course if i can get a credit back to my site would be good enough for us.

Of course we tried hard with documentation and features but not sure if we can live upto your expectations.

Regards,
    Shri

10. Thanks for the offer Shri. I appreciate the gesture. Complete Pro looks like a good theme, but for the time being I am happy with the Genesis framework. I may review this later on in the year :)

11. Nice theme Shri - good luck with sales

12. I just started using Massive Dynamic theme, massivedynamic.co and no, I'm not an affiliate. Very new theme and the design is endless with it. I love how they have a ton of demos set up on their website too that you can download for your own use.

And I'm new to Rise Forums!

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.