Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Moving Rise Forums to the Root of the Domain

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Kevin Muldoon, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Since I have opened the forum up to public registration, there is less need for the sales landing page that is currently in the root of the forum.

Therefore, I am going to be moving the forums from www.riseforums.com/members/ to www.riseforums.com. While a landing page is a good place to post announcements etc, most members would simply bookmark the subdirectory anyways. So it makes sense to just place the forum in the root of the domain. It makes it more convenient for all of us.

Plus, with a landing page on the home page, we are giving potential members an opportunity to not click through to the forum itself.

I don't envision too much downtime with this, if any. I will be migrating all files over first and then changing the URL in the settings area. I'll set up a 301 so that all previous URL's are correctly redirected to the root :)

Kevin

UPDATE: Everything has been moved to the root of the domain :)

2. The "notable members" page doesn't seem to be working anymore.

3. The reason is that I have a 301 redirect set up to redirect all links from https://www.riseforums.commembers/. I will leave the redirect up for a week or so and then I can remove it. By that time, I believe most members will have updated their bookmarks.

Thankfully, Google has not indexed any URLs in the old forum address :)

UPDATE: I did a search in the database and did not find any links to the old URL i.e. members don't seem to have shared the old URL in forum posts. Perhaps I can remove the redirect sooner, as when people see the notable members page, they will quickly realise the URL has been changed.

4. I've noticed tapatalk isn't working with Rise any more. I get the notifications on my phone but when I click through it says it can't find the content (or something similar).

Perhaps this is why. Any one else had this problem?

5. Tapatalk can be very buggy. I recently considered removing it as there were some large security bugs that had been reported several months ago that had still not been fixed. I had 2.10 installed but just upgraded to 2.11 today. Let me know if that fixes the issue.

6. No its still saying its failed to connect. Might just be my phone but I can connect to other forums still.

7. I just connected to the forums via Tapatalk and it seemed to work ok. Can you log out via Tapatalk and then log in again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.