Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Moving Wordpress site to a new domain name

Discussion in 'Job Board & Guest Post Exchange' started by Donna Macdonald, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone,
    I've enjoyed looking around this amazing forum! It is an incredible community!

I manage several (very) simple Wordpress sites, I would classify my skill set is "just enough to be dangerous".

I want to migrate an existing site (ABCEnglishForum) to a new domain (ABCESLNews).

As a part of the migration all of the internal links need to be updated as well, I know there is a plug-in available for this.

I've read the Codex for doing it, but I feel like it could become overwhelming if I make a mistake along the way.

If you are interested, can you please let me know how I can reach you as I can't post my e-mail address in this thread.

Thank you!

Heather likes this.
  2. I would be interested. Kindly send more details.

3. Here's a quick and dirty way to migrate:

1. Export your database to a SQL file.
    2. Open file in a text editor.
    3. Do a global find "ABCenglishforum" / replace "ABCESLNews"
    4. Save and upload/run on server

4. I'm not sure what other details you need.....

5. #1 actually scares me!!!! ;-)!!
    This is why WordPress is such an incredible platform - even people like me can create a workable site!!!!

Thanks for the feedback!

6. By details I mean via PM send me server details and I can do the work instantly. Thanks

7. Prakash - Thank you for your response. I found an alternative solution.

8. For future visitors, the best tool I have found to do this is a WP extension called Duplicator. It's very simple to use and I use it as a main way to backup all of my sites as well as moving new sites from dev to their own domains.

9. Thanks Nyk! It's a great idea to use it as a backup tool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.