Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

My First Attempt at a Gaming Video

Discussion in 'Video & Audio Recording' started by Kevin Muldoon, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had neglected my YouTube channel for a month or two because I was so busy with other things. It was something that I had been meaning to go back to because I really enjoy working with video.

For my latest video I recording a short review and play through of an old classic game I love. Those of you who don't play video games might find this strange, however I enjoy watching others play video games and listening to the commentary. So I know others would enjoy watching me do the same.

The game I reviewed was Kung Fu.

In this video I did an introduction about the game and spoke about the history of the game. I then did the playthrough and did a very short outro at the end.

I am keen to do more gaming videos like this, however I will probably record them in a more efficient manner.

In this video I recorded the video of me using my camera, recorded the audio using my audio recorder, and recorded the gameplay using Open Broadcast Software (OBS). I then edited it all together using Premiere Pro.

It was easy to do, but putting everything together tool longer than I expected.

In my next video I think I will be a bit lazier and just record everything through OBS. I can record the gameplay and display my webcam at the same time. I can then use my dynamic microphone to record my audio.

There are downsides to this. Specifically, after I have recorded the video, I cannot edit anything. With my first video, I could modify anything if it wasn't correct. For example, I reduced the sound of the gameplay to a suitable level so that my commentary could clearly be held.

I would not be able to make changes such as this if everything was recorded in one file. What that means is that I would have to ensure that I got all audio settings etc correct from the very start.

I am looking forward to recording more videos. Once I get the setup perfected, I should be able to record them and upload them fairly quickly :)

Let me know what you think of my first video :)

Kevin

2. I like! I must admit I've been watching a lot of "Lets Play" videos, and I'm thinking of doing them myself. Have you thought about doing them on Twitch?

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  3. Yeah I may consider Twitch in the future.

I want to get a few more videos under my belt first so that I feel more comfortable with it all. The software that I am using just now, OBS, has support for live play with Twitch; therefore I believe it will be an easy transition.

What kind of games are you thinking of covering?

4. Funny and fun! I liked it. :) Also I thought the quality of the video and sound was really good. Very professional.

My favorite old game was Tetris. I did play Mortal Combat a little later on. And I do remember Pong when it came out. Was pong one of the very first video games?

There is something entertaining about watching others play video games. It's kind of like watching exercise videos.

5. Yeah Pong is one of the oldest video games. It was huge in the 70s. There were hundreds of pong clones released during the decade and the games during that time heavily influenced later consoles such as the Atari.

6. I'm not sure yet.

I have been thinking of getting a Kinect with my XBOne, as the Twitch app allows live streaming of XBOne games.

But I'd like to do some obscure games. I never heard of OBS. I may check it out soon!

I'm assuming you're playing on your computer through emulators?

7. Yeah I was just playing through an emulator.

I still have a lot of my old consoles, like the SNES, Nintendo 64, Saturn, Dreamcast etc. Unfortunately, when I returned from university one day when I was about 18 or 19, my mother advised me they had given me old NES to my little cousins (girls). I have no doubt they either binned it or sold it.

I have always thought about buying a NES, though I'm scared about getting sucked into buying lots of games haha.

8. Tell me about it. I don't know how many of my old consoles I still have sadly, but I'd love to check.

Mum & Dad own a large property that has been in the family for generations. Generally things end up there. Probably should root through everything, and donate the gear to one of the gaming events we have running in Manchester at the moment.

Or sell the expensive stuff :)

9. I don't think I could give away those older consoles. I still have all my old gaming magazines from when I was a kid stored up in my loft. I have been meaning to organise them in some way.

I am not really a hoarder and regularly throw out stuff, but something about all the gaming gear growing up brings up something nostalgic with me.

10. I wish I still had some of my magazines. Pretty much had every CVG for about 5 years :(

11. Me too. I still have most Mean Machines too. I remember selling some of my older CVG's to a friend at one point, but I will still have lots of magazines from the early 90s.

12. So inspired by Kevin I'm jumping on this craze too. I'm on Twitch though instead, you can see me (occasionally) here - http://www.twitch.tv/rhyswynne

Nothing yet, but hopefully will get something up as we go towards the weekend.

Heather and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  13. Heather likes this.
  14. I really played this game in my childhood and it was a awesome moment for me.. When i see your post and it remembered my childhood time...

Thanks

Web Design Company India

15. Good to hear.

It says you are offline but that you were previously playing Rogue Legacy. Are your older broadcasts saved for viewing?

16. Please do not post short posts like this Rajiv. They bring nothing to the discussion.

17. Okay Mr. Kevin i will keep this in my mind... It will never happen again....

Thanks

18. Hah! I wondered who it was :)

I'm going to try tonight streaming (in about 15-20 minutes). I've connected YouTube to it so I'll see what I need to do to transfer it over. It seems fairly straightforward.

19. Cool. Let me know how you get on Rhys. I'll be sure to check it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.