Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Non - writing fees

Discussion in 'Freelancing' started by Shaun, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi guys,

I've been reaching out to some potential clients and have got some interest.

During initial discussions there have been one or two questions around fees that I hadn't really considered.

Now, I know my target rate per word, but one potential client wanted an hourly estimate.

My output per hour varies, and I know this is something I will improve on, so I have never given much thought to my target hourly rates. If you were to quote an hourly rate, what would you be looking for in relation to your rate per word? About 1000 words?

The other request was around proofreading. This Is something I've never personally done, but it is something I'd be open to. Have any of the freelance bloggers out there done any proofreading and what are your experiences?

As with before, how would you price your services per word relative to your written rate per word?

This last question stumped me as I really have no idea how time consuming proofreading is!

Thanks!

2. I have never been employed as a proofreader. I am unsure as to how I would price it on a per word or per hour basis.

If you know your per word rate, you should have a general idea of your hourly rate. All you have to do is track how many words you write per hour on average.

You can then do some proofreading over 30 minutes or an hour and see how many words you can proofread. This will help you understand how much time proofreading takes up. For example, you may find you can proofread four times as quickly as writing.

Bear in mind, however, that you may be dealing with some bad authors. I'd rather write an article from scratch than proofread a bad article and then detail what is wrong with it.

3. Yes, you need to find out what sort of content you will be proof reading. I was approached by a blog that I write for to proofread and edit the content posted by their non-native writers and I didn't take them up on it in the end.

Although the it was basic grammar corrections, its hard not to get too picky and start rewriting sentences as to how you would like to see them, rather than just signing them off because they are technically correct, despite not reading that well.

If you are signing stuff off you are not happy about, despite it being technically correct, its hard to just let stuff go. It was for me anyway.

For the hourly rate, did the client want to pay you per hour? Or just know what your per word rate works out to as an hourly rate?

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  4. I have an idea of my words per hour but it varies a fair amount.

I think part of me thinks that if I were to quote hourly I should be quoting higher than what I would earn from a per word rate in an hour. Words are tangible, but time is harder to measure.

In all honesty, I think the proofreading idea isn't a good one. As you have both pointed out, it depends on the quality of the author, and I know I would struggle to let things go and end up doing a complete rewrite. One or two grammatical tweaks might be all that's needed, but would the client think they were getting their moneys worth in that scenario? Probably not...

Plus, there's no way proofreading can help attract new clients.

5. I have always been put off proofreading for the same reason. It's a thankless task. If you are doing that kind of thing, ideally you will be given an editor position on a fixed yearly salary. You will also have a budget to hire writers yourself so that you know the standard of writing is good in the first instance.

6. Shaun, think proof reading is probably best done on a rough hourly rate per X amount of words. Although, it depends on the quality of the writers and how many tweaks you need to make. Like everyone else has been saying - it's probably worth avoiding.

That is unless, like Kevin suggestions, you can get an editors position with a fixed salary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.