Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Questions About Hosted Wordpress And Subscribers...

Discussion in 'Blogging & Content Marketing' started by Heather, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello! I'm trying to help a friend get Mailchimp set up for her website. Her site is a WP.com site, and she doesn't want to change over right now to self-hosted.

Anyway, she has quite a few "followers" right now. Do you know if it would be fine and if it's possible to download the list of her followers so she can add them to her Mailchimp list once she gets that set up?

Also, I would love to find a WP dot com website that has a Mailchimp opt-in form connected to it, so I could see what it looks like. I was reading that to connect a hosted WP site to MC, you put in the link to the form, and then when people click that link it takes them to the form at Mailchimp. I'd really like to see how that looks.

2. Heather likes this.
  3. Hmmm... that's what I was wondering about, about whether them opting in on the .com would mean they didn't have to opt in again. But how exactly would they opt in if you just imported the subscribers? Also, I don't know if you can easily export your subscribers from the .com. Do you know?

4. They would be sent an email asking them to verify their subscription. Doing this inevitably loses a lot of people. Your friend may lose 80% of the subscribers that are imported.

5. But... if she downloads her list and uploads it to Mailchimp, I'm not sure why they'd get an opt in email... I guess I was just thinking that since they subscribed via Wordpress, that's enough. They've already given permission. However, I'm not sure, since Wordpress.com calls it "following". However, I think the words she has typed on her site say something about "subscribing," like, "Thank you for subscribing!" So I think the people who type in their email feel like they are subscribing... so just because she switched to mailchimp shouldn't require them to re-opt in, right?

I think maybe the ultimate question is, does "following" equal subscribing. And I'm not totally sure.

6. It's a necessary step they put in to stop people importing lists that they have purchased. If they allow everyone to import their lists there is a high risk of people being emailed who did not want to receive newsletters. This increases the risk of complaints, which in turn increases the risk of their delivery rates dropping.

Ask her to speak to MailChimp directly. If they can see that everyone followed her legitimately they might allow her to import the list without asking everyone to opt in again.

Heather likes this.
  7. Thank you! You know, I think the reason I was so confused is that a little while back I was going to switch to ConvertKit, and when I did that, I was able to just import my list... I didn't realize it was different with Mailchimp. (For now I'm still with Mailchimp, but I may switch to Convertkit in the somewhat near future.)

That's a good idea to try to talking with them.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  8. Mailchimp does allow a "these have already opted in, just subscribe them" option. I use it all the time with WP Email Capture.

Heather likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.