Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Relationship between Google search results & site title

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Anne Green, Jun 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi everyone, I just joined (see my introduction in "Introducing Myself"). I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this to.

I recently changed my theme over to a Genesis one (with the assistance of a designer) and in the process decided to change my site title (at least the second part of it) - formerly it was "Epicurean Epistles: Food Writing Past and Present". I changed it to "Epicurean Epistles: Writing About Food". Now in the Google search results for my website I get the following:

Epicurean Epistles: Food Writing past and present - Writing ...

i.e. it's retained the second part of the original title but added on the new part (which of course is too long to fit).

Is there some way I can correct this or is there something else I need to do besides change the site title in Wordpress itself.

And unsure about how this change might affect SEO rankings etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards
    Anne

Sarah Harris likes this.
  2. Hi Anne,

In Genesis, there is an SEO area under the Genesis menu entitled "SEO Settings". You will find it at http://epicureanepistles.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=seo-settings. The home page settings page lets you modify your page title.

The great thing about Genesis is that if you install a plugin such as WordPress SEO, Genesis will remove that SEO Settings page and disable all of its SEO features. If you are looking for more control over your SEO settings, I recommend installed WordPress SEO or All in One SEO Pack.

Changing your page title can affect your rankings for certain keywords.

Reply here if you are unsure about any of this and I can try and address any queries you have :)

Kevin

Jay Mayu likes this.
  3. Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I have got WordPress SEO installed which means the Gensis SEO settings aren't showing up. I take it you mean I should modify my site title settings within the WordPress SEO settings? The website is actually showing up in Google search results differently now - without the old second half of the title but with part of the title tag included so it ends in an ellipsis, i.e. Epicurean Epistles: writing about food - Food on the plate, in ...
    so maybe it's righted itself, or partially at least.
    Regards
    Anne

4. Correct :)

I believe it's in the SEO > Titles and Metas area (that's without looking)

5. Rhys's advice is correct. Good memory Rhys :)

You can change your page settings via the home tab.

wordpress-seo-home-page.png

You can change the page title of blog posts, pages, archives, custom post types etc; via the post types tab.

wordpress-seo-post-types.png

6. Thanks Rhys, Much appreciated. Will check it out

Anne

7. Thanks very much Kevin. That makes it clear.

Regards
    Anne

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  8. Glad you found it useful. Let us know if you need any more help :)

9. I absolutely agree with you!Thanks for that information.

10. Thanks for sharing most useful info…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.