Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Revamp For Next Level Guy

Discussion in 'Review My Website' started by iandawsonmackay, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

I run http://www.nextlevelguy.com/ a male-focused site where I market it as "Men's interest and interview site. Listen to the experts in their respective fields being quizzed and learn something! Listen, embrace, adapt, use, improve".

I currently use the Hickory theme. Over the last few months, I have decided to switch to running a podcast and hope to build up an audience and then make ebooks etc. However, I am not seeing the audience or hardly any traffic that I need. I had an issue with my hosting and my current audience is around 40 a day with an average time on the site less than a minute which is awful. Before the hosting issue, I had longer times and more people but not hundreds.

Can you please review my website and let me know what you think? I get good guests (I think) but something is badly wrong. I am not sure if it the design, broad focus, are the interviews poor, not consistent enough, poor quality etc, really need some advice.

I am considering switching my theme to this:http://preview.themeforest.net/item.../6804946?_ga=1.190112110.476516492.1468883455 so I can keep my focus on the podcast and my original blog articles, however, there is little point doing that if the overall product is terrible.

If you were being honest, is my site terrible? Should I close it down? I really enjoy the gig and doing the podcast but my poor audience stats etc now is really grinding on me and it may be time to change but I can't decide, so any help would be appreciated. I work full time and love the website stuff so willing to put in the work and doing more promotion etc but can't decide if it's a diamond or turd I am about to polish! Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Hi Ian.

If your podcast is going to be your main focus, I think you could drive more people to it by having a clean theme designed for podcasting. The one you linked above looks great.

With regards to your blog, I think one of the biggest problems is posting frequency. You simply aren't posting enough content to attract traffic.

I normally post on average three or four times a week, sometimes less, sometimes more, but I do publish content on a consistent basis (you can see how frequently I post by checking out my blog index). I also publish videos to my YouTube channels regularly.

Despite this, even I struggle to find new readers as blogging is so much more competitive than it was years ago. When I first started blogging there were not as many other blogs and we also didn't have Twitter and Facebook etc draining people's time.

You need to work harder to get the same return in 2016. That means a higher posting frequency or making sure every single article is a 5,000 to 10,000 word killer article that will be shared. In contrast, most of your articles are between 500 and 1,000 words and the posts you classify as news are simply you posting banners.

On my blog I can spend three or four hours writing a 1,000 word review and 2,000+ word reviews can take me as much as twelve hours if it requires a lot of research. Make no mistake, you need to put a lot of time and effort into making a blog successful. I'm not saying that to scare you away, but I think it's important for you to realise how much work is required to become successful.

You need some tough love and you need to realise that you aren't doing enough to attract visitors.

Your home page is able to show all the content you have published over the last year and a half. It quickly highlights the issue of not posting enough and illustrates that you need to change things if you want to see success.

Here's a summary of 2015:

January 2015 - One advertisement
    February 2015 - One advertisement
    March 2015 - One advertisement
    April 2015 - No content
    May 2015 - One advertisement
    June 2015 - One short post sharing a YouTube video (This would have been better posted on Facebook or Twitter - not as a blog post).
    July 2015 - No content
    August 2015 - No content
    September 2015 - One podcast episode
    October 2015 - No content
    November 2015 - One advertisement
    December 2016 - No content

2015 Summary:

You did not post one article. Over the course of a year you posted five advertisements that were nothing but banner ads, one podcast episode, and one short post of a few lines that shared a video.

Here's a summary of 2016:

January 2016 - Five advertisements and one blog post
    February 2016 - One podcast episode
    March 2016 - One advertisement
    April 2016 - One advertisement and one blog post
    May 2016 - One podcast episode
    June 2016 - No content
    July 2016 - One podcast episode

2015 Summary:

You have posted two blog posts, seven advertisements, and three podcasts

Your sidebar has lots of banner ads and underneath you have a popular posts section. A popular posts section is a great way to send people to your best content, however your list directs people to short three line articles such as this.

Look at the top blogs in your niche. How often are they posting? How good are their articles compared to yours: Do they contain more research, more images, more original video content?

Now look at your blog and ask yourself "Are you doing enough to attract new readers to your blog?".

If you want to focus on your podcast, I think you should switch to the design you referenced and place less emphasis on the blog.

Moving forward with your blog, I believe you really need to change the way you approach blogging.

Firstly, you need to stop posting those advertisements.

From a blogging point of view, I would categorise that as lazy blogging as all you are doing is copying and pasting affiliate code into your posts. It takes about a minute. From an affiliate marketing point of view, those simply won't convert. If you want to succeed at affiliate marketing, you need to write informative reviews. You need to ask the questions the customer would ask. That will help convert them into a customer.

Secondly, you need to improve the quality of your articles. Most of your articles have very little images in them and have very little links. Long pieces of text can be hard to read if you don't break them up with media such as images and videos. Start spending several hours writing just one article instead and put lots of research into them.

Thirdly, if you have the time, you need to post higher quality articles on a more regular basis. Posting one article every few months just won't cut it. You need to post regularly and give people a reason to keep coming back to your website.

Your writing is good enough to become a successful blogger, but I get the impression that you are trying to find a shortcut to success. Unfortunately, there isn't one. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time to write good content, but long-term that's what you need to do if you want it to be successful.

By the sounds of it you are really enjoying your podcast so you may want to turn your attention to that and then simply write good articles for your blog as and when you can.

Before you do anything, take a step back and think about what direction you want to take your website. Ask yourself where you want your website to be in two years.

I think it is also important to think about what you enjoy doing. If writing every day bores you, focus on podcasting and video instead.

Good luck.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.