Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Right to 30-Day refund Becomes Law in the UK

Discussion in 'Ecommerce' started by Kevin Muldoon, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longer refund laws have just been passed in the UK. This allows consumers to a longer period of time to which they can get a refund.

This is good news in my opinion as there are a lot of shops, such as Sports Direct, who explicitly inform you upon purchasing something that no refund will be granted. Only an exchange.

New consumer protection measures - including longer refund rights - have come into force under the Consumer Rights Act.

For the first time anyone who buys faulty goods will be entitled to a full refund for up to 30 days after the purchase.

Previously consumers were only entitled to refunds for a "reasonable time".

There will also be new protection for people who buy digital content, such as ebooks or online films and music.

They will be entitled to a full refund, or a replacement, if the goods are faulty.

If a download also infects a computer with a virus, the provider could also be liable to pay compensation for getting the virus removed.

......​

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34403005

As you can see from the above excerpt, the new law covers digital items such as eBooks too. This means that marketplaces such as Envato will have to start offering buyers the right to a refund; which is something sellers of digital content rarely offer.

Time will tell how a marketplace such as Envato will handle this law.

Kevin

2. Overall I think it's a good thing. I offer a 30 day refund on all my products (with 60 days if you REALLY argue). But I'm wondering if it's a point of sale or point of purchase though.....

3. I'm not sure.

Within the WordPress world, individual sellers like yourself have traditionally offered refunds and money back guarantees. However, on marketplaces it is less common.

4. I miss this part of UK the most! Was only talking how good it was to have refund policy the other day. Refunding something we found out we don't like or unsuitable after a week of use is definitely a very good thing to us consumer.

However, almost all the company in most of Asia do not have this practise, I guess probably we Chinese misused it a lot.
    E.G: in UK some of my Chinese friends would buy a dress from Primark, go to a ball/party and return it 2 days later, deliberately. And there are many other stories.

5. It was the same in South America.

I nearly got into a fight because of this in South America as the guy sold me a headset that he promised would work with my laptop, but it didn't. When I returned he said that I had already paid for it and opened it so there was nothing he could do. My girlfriend had to calm me down because I was so angry at the guy lying to me. Thankfully, I walked away and didn't do anything stupid.

Soki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.