Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

SEO & Frequency of posts?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Leo Koo, Apr 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey there!

Just wondering if you had the same experience as myself.
    1. In November 2014, I spent a fair bit of time on writing articles and saw my site hitting unprecedented numbers in terms of unique visitors and page views.
    2. December 2014 - I was busy with some church work and left my site alone, other then sending out orders. Visitors and Pageviews remain at the same level.
    3. Jan 2015 - I began working on researching Wordpress theme shops, finding the best theme for my site while studying the best use of UX, UI and SEO. Found my traffic was affected. It dropped by 30% or so, both in terms of UV and PV.
    4. Feb 2015 - Started working on my site again
    5. March 2015 - Traffic goes back to Nov 2014 level.
    As such, have you tried not blogging/updating your site for awhile and seeing what happens? :) Is the drop due to Google analysing whether the site is active/not active and deciding on whether to list the site up?

2. I faced this same issue recently. From around July/August 2014, I increased posting frequency on my blog considerably. Most months there were around 75% to 100% more articles than previously. All articles were over 1,000 words long, some were thousands of words.

Despite posting almost double the number of posts over those six months, traffic never increased. It stayed around the same level. When you consider I spent thousands of dollars paying writers for those additional articles, it is clear to see the project was a failure.

I have decreased my posting frequency recently and my traffic is still at the same level.

3. Hmm, perhaps a targeted SEO approach would make a difference? Am trying out Yoast's and Copyblogger's cornerstone content strategy right now. Add in the uploading of products and it becomes a lot of work :(

4. I am actually the same as Kevin... Last month was the least amount of posts on my blog and my traffic is still steadily rising... So I don't think there is much correlation on frequency. Definitely a lot more due to changes in your keywords in positions in SERPs. I have seen traffic drop sometimes on my articles by over 80% if one of my keywords drops even one position. Definitely recommend keyword tracking if you really want to get down to the optimization per blog post.

5. But could it be because the work has already been put into your site that is why you see the result later? I found that most of my articles don't become hot until 1-2 months later. By then I would be working on other facets or segments in the business, forgetting about that earlier article

Also, what do you think of using plugins that optimises the headlines?

6. I think wordpress theme affects how you get visitors. I witnessed a great increase of uv and pv after changing to point (mythemeshop). Additionally.. yoast plugin really helps. I write articles based on the keyword suggestion.

7. @Leo Koo It's actually very difficult for us to pin point a specific reason to a certain drop or rise in search rankings today.

Yes, content freshness does affect SERP rankings in my experience. But so are hundred of other onpage factors that may contribute to this. How users react to your website (your bounce rate and average page on time) count*; so are your site load time (does change of WP themes affect your load time?) and Google SERP CTR (did you change your titles?) . Also, there were 3 major updates reported on the time frame you mentioned. One of these updates affected the majority in local search (Pigeon) - are you targeting local searchers?

* BTW - interesting read on this topic if you are keen to find out more - https://goralewicz.co/blog/negative-seo-with-no-backlinks-a-case-study/

Leo Koo likes this.
  8. Hey Brian!

I've purchased that previously, but returned it as it had performance issues back then (it was still new). When I went into the server details via New Relic (which was link to my site via W3TC), it showed me that Kingsumo Headline's was pinging back the Kingsumo website to verify my site. And it kept doing it every minute =.= I raised a ticket because 50% of the resources used by my site was caused by this pinging back and getting an answer from the site. It was as if Kingsumo didn't want someone to pirate the plugin so much, that they had to keep checking every minute :(

However, even after raising the ticket, the issue was not solved and nearing the end of the trial period, I sadly had to request a refund. I also had some issues with the sites I linked to after using Kingsumo's Headlines. One of them (a prominent tech site), checked their site for negative SEO and bad links and found that my site was sending them bad links as one article would link to them 4 times, due to Kingsumo's way to adding stuff like ?=vt3t2 or some obscure code to lead search engines to different headlines. Even though the plugin was removed, the effect still remained :(

I then stumbled upon Title Experiments, which essentially does the same thing as headlines.
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-experiments-free/

Hadn't had the time to try it out yet, but do take a look and let me know what you think? :)

9. Hey Jerry!

Guess you're from Malaysia too? :) Yea, I noticed we were hit with the pigeon update. Found this amazing tool by barracuda to find out where and why
    http://www.barracuda-digital.co.uk/panguin-tool/

As an online store, I found that perhaps the strength of the catalog also plays a part, unlike normal blogs. Here's what Prestashop's blog said about it
    https://www.prestashop.com/blog/en/11-seo-questions-need-answer-starting-online-store/

You’ve identified your keywords, you know what your competitors are doing. Now it’s time to look at your catalog and make sure it’s up to the task of ranking your site. Just because you create a page for dresses doesn’t mean you’ll show up in any searches.

I once met a business owner who couldn’t figure out why his store didn’t appear in search results for “men’s face cream.” So I asked him, “How many creams do you carry?” His response: “Three.” Clearly, he was not going to stand out from all the other stores with dozens of references for “men’s face cream.”

The internet is a bewildering sea of information. You are guaranteed to drown in it if you don’t have a strategy. You either need to have a strong catalog with many references corresponding to your keywords or own an incredibly specific and highly specialized niche.

What do you think? :)

p/s: Are you on Lowyat.net as well?

10. Oh man, that sucks @Leo Koo , but thanks for the heads up. I won't purchase it now. It seems like the guys at SumoMe don't care about load that much. That's why I don't use the SumoMe share bar anymore. It loads like 3 things and adds up to quite a bit of time compared to Monarch. Too bad because their products themselves are really good, but I don't want to sacrifice load times.

Awesome, I will try that free plugin out! Looks good.

11. Yea, but premium Wordpress plugins and SAAS will continue to grow. I guess perhaps they're too busy with Appsumo for now? Hope we can invite them to this forum :)

12. Yes - born and raised in Malaysia. No - not on Lowyat.net.

I don't really understand your question about the strength of catalog. If you are talking about off page and on page factors for internal pages then yes - of course the they matter; and so are your site structure design (how you link between 'catalog' as you mentioned). In my perspective, I don't see a Wordpress blog and other CMS or ecommerce store difference. They are just web pages in Google index.

13. Ah, but with Prestashop saying the strength of the catalog (as in how many products your catalog has) has implications to the SERP, it might make sense. After all, online stores are different than a blog. I mean, for if you google some things like baby products, major marketplaces like Amazon or even Zalora might show up before your SEO optimised store.

That makes me think that for ecommerce, it's not so much about landing pages (yes, it does help) nor product page SEO (it does help as well), but also the strength of the catalog. I've tried competing with some big boys over other product segments and found no matter how many keyword-optimised articles I wrote, I still ranked less than them on Google :( They would be on the 1st-3rd spot for the SERP, while I would be perhaps on the 5th to 6th spot which makes a lot of difference in terms of traffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.