Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Should You Include the Year in Your Review Titles?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Kevin Muldoon, Oct 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I do a lot of keyword research and it's amazing how often people add the year to the end of their searches.

Looking at your example situation what I might do is the following. Set my posts up to use the post_modified_date so that the date of the post gets auto updated when the post is updated to reflect any new information. (I already do this on my sites). Leave the title of the post as "Productivity Tips to Make You Money".

Then at the top of the post use an H2 tab to use the [post_modified_date] shortcode (available in Genesis). So something like "Productivity Tips [post_modified_date] ", where the [post_modifed_date] is formatted as the year only. That way you can have the keyword high up in the body of the post in H2 tags. Later if you update the post with new information say in 2016, then the date of the post will change to 2016 to reflect the changes you've made and you can update the h2 title to say "Productivity Tips [post_modified_date] - Updated!"

2. Yeah it would be easy to set something up.

I am curious as to how search engines respond to a technique such as that. Would they realise that the technique was being used across dozens or even hundreds of articles?

3. Well, I've done that for a long time now to no ill effects. If you write an article on the 3rd January 2010 and never go back to update it, the article date stays that way. But if you keep going back to page every say 3 months as there is something new to add, add new information, and the article is now up to date, then I think its legit to update the publish date to today's date. It's bit like book publishers. They do updates and put that date in the front of the book. You buy a technical book and although it was first published in 1999, you need to see "republished in 2014" written inside it or you are unlikely to buy it. You know then that the contents reflect the now in a niche where "now" is the only valid option. Not so important for a cake recipes.

I don't do it to articles that are not updated so it does not create any other footprint than one that says this handful of articles actually have new information.

For example, I have a comparison table with products and I add new products as and when they come up. The people using the table need to know that the table is up to date or it stops being valid. I use the technique described to do that.

4. Very good point. I will need to give this a try. :)

I do frequently go back and update articles. For example, to clarify that a company no longer exists, or to add a link to a more recent topic. It makes sense for this to be reflected in the title (though I wouldn't want it displayed in the latest articles list, I'd like to keep the archives listed in the original order).

I've been publishing a lot of reviews recently and have considered using a review table. Though I have a resources section so it makes more sense to list reviews there :)

5. Giving the review table a +1 please. I hope that it gets considered. [​IMG]

6. I read all replies and really happy with everyone's answer because when you start search on Google for example "i10 reviews" it will show generic results but when we do "i10 reviews 2014 or 2015 something like then it will show us exact model even for exact year reviews.. It is a Good idea though to get best index even get rank in Google...

Thanks Guys!!!!!

SEO Firm India

7. I wouldn't add the date unless it's a couple months old, best is to get more reviews on major revue sites and have a stream on your site from them. Google loves that! You need a certain amount 30-50 for Google to pick up on it though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.