Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Sitemap?

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Heather, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do I need to put a link to this in my footer? Does it have something to do with Google indexing?

2. Sitemap can be directly added to Google via their webmasters panel. You are not required to put it on the site anywhere. But many site developers do create great looking sitemaps for better navigation and ease of use for the visitors.

3. Thank you, Prakash. My site is so simple, maybe I don't need one right now. I was just thinking it might help Google find me.

I need to figure out how to use the Yoast SEO features. I think Google is unaware of my blog's existence.

4. For google indexing, best is to submit the Yoast generated sitemap to Google Webmasters and request google to index. Thats the fastest method. I usually see sites I submit show up in google (site search) within a week or so. Then placement of the site on google is up to google and nothing you can do. So your site may show up on 1st or 10th or 100th page of google based on how google indexes your site.

Heather likes this.
  5. Is it hard to submit it to Google?

6. Thank you, @prakash and @Kris Hoja ... I think I did both correctly, so we'll see what happens.

7. @Brian Jackson Hey, Brian! I'm trying to follow your SEO Checklist and add the sitemap link to my footer.

I have Genesis simple edits... I tried add this on after what's already in there, but nothing showed up, so apparently I'm doing it wrong.

<a href='http://www.happinessmama.com/sitemap_index.xml' target='_blank' title='Sitemap'>Sitemap</a>

Does the above look correct, and how do I fit it into the code that's already there so it will actually show up? Thank you.

Also, maybe it's not necessary to do this, but I do remember you recommended this to someone else here, and it is on your checklist, so I thought it would be worthwhile. But, maybe not? I don't know.

8. Also, I just realized that I pasted it into the footer output area. Maybe I should paste it into the footer credits text? The answer is probably some combination and html that I don't know how to do yet.

Hey! I think that worked (pasted it into the footer credit text area)! But, how can I get it to leave a space so it isn't right next to my site title?

Thank you!

9. Yay!!! It's on Google now! Unless it somehow got on there before, it happened really fast.

The next step is to think about the keywords I want it to rank for. But at least it comes up when I Google its name.

10. You have to test your sitemap using webmaster tool which is working or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.