Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Strange Foods

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Heather, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am huge fan of Black Pudding :).

One odd traditional British food is Chicken Tikka Masala. Ironic really but it was a British take on a curry, as traditional curries were too spicy for UK tastes.

I generally am a fan of Cottage Pie (over Shepherd's Pie, as Cottage uses beef. Shepherd uses lamb). I'm also a huge fan of Lancashire Hot Pot. :) - I generally prefer wintery foods that warm you up and make you feel nice inside :)

Heather likes this.
  2. I imagine the black pudding you had was a lot better than what I tried. I'd totally try it again in the UK. Neat about the similar breakfasts... What is square sausage?

3. Okay, so I'll definitely keep an open mind about the black pudding. :) I love all the Chicken Tikka Masala that I've tried here at Indian restaurants. I didn't know that about it being a British take on curry! I love Indian food in general.

I would prefer Cottage Pie, too. I'm not a huge fan of the lamb. What is Lancashire Hot Pot? Those do all sound like cozy, warm you up, cold weather comfort foods. :)

It's been crazy warm here the past couple of days. Yesterday's high was about 29! But I see that it's still cold in the UK... I'm loving these warm Spring days though. It's about to cool back down some though.

4. I wonder if any of you have very had or tasted any Indian food?

5. You can get it in fry ups or in a roll. It's sometimes called Lorne Sausage.

rollandsausage.jpg

Indian food is incredibly popular in the UK. You will find Indian restaurants in every town in the UK. I love Indian food and frequently make Indian dishes at home.

Heather likes this.
  6. Very interesting about the square sausage. We have something here called "country sausage" and it looks similar. It's part of our traditional breakfasts, and sometimes people eat it on a biscuit.

(I was going to post a picture, but apparently I'm doing it wrong. But just googling "sausage biscuit" shows a ton of pics that look similar to the one you posted.)

I also love Indian food, as I mentioned.

I get the impression that Indian food and restaurants are to the UK what Mexican food and restaurants are to the U.S. :)

I'm curious what kind of Indian food you make at home? I've only made one Indian dish at home and should make it more often. Basically it's chicken with spinach and I think cream and garam masala. I'd like to learn to cook more Indian food. Is it easy?

7. Nothing too fancy. You can buy sauces in every supermarket and just add vegetables etc to the wok and add rice or noodles. Very easy to make.

8. Hmmm... Interesting.

9. haha this post escalated quickly !

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  10. Lancashire hot pot is very similar to Shepherd's pie, but instead of really putting mash and butter on top, you put sliced potatoes instead. Not a huge amount is different to be honest.

Heather likes this.
  11. Well, then, Lancashire Hot Pot sounds yummy, too! :)

12. Which dish do you like the most in indian dishes ?
    You can cook indian food too? i guess you are enrolled in a cooking classes course as well or at least you used to be.

13. I don't really cook Indian food. I like a lot of different dishes whose names I can't remember right now... I do like Chicken Tikka Masala, some spicy okra... some kind of cauliflower side dish, Chicken 69 (I think that's what it's called)... Oh, and naan, and this other kind of crackery/crispy cracker like bread whose name escapes me as well. It's been too long since I've been to the Indian restaurant. We have a lot of different styles of Indian restaurants around here, too.

14. Poppadoms?

I generally struggle with Coriander (Cilantro), so I end up sticking to one or two Indian dishes: Biriyani, Mankhani or Jalfrezi. Of course, if I'm cooking it (which is usually from pastes), then all bets are off. I can eat anything :)

Heather likes this.
  15. I think that might be it... (that type of crackery bread).

I looove cilantro.

16. Hmmm indian food is mostly about spices , but i prefer arabic food specially their dishes known as "Shawarma " and "khabsa " .
    Simple dishes but real amazing ones , you guys try it out and then let me know what you think about it.

Heather likes this.
  17. I've had Shawarma before. It is very nice :)

Heather likes this.
  18. It doesn't have a special name in our family as well. Everyone just calls it tomato salad ^^

Our pudding flavours and colors are the same as yours. But we usually call it by it's flavour rather than color, e.g. white pudding = vanilla pudding, black pudding = chocolate pudding and so on :)

Heather likes this.
  19. Great to hear that you liked it too , trying "Khabsa " if its avail somewhere around you , its a nice dish , consists of rice and grilled chicken.

20. I was surprised when I found out that pudding in the UK is a totally different thing than pudding here. Like you were saying, our pudding is like, vanilla, chocolate, etc... :)

Gracent likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.