Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Strange Foods

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Heather, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think I've also had shawarma.

2. Yep. Biscuits and Gravy sound disgusting to a Brit...

Heather likes this.
  3. For a second, I was like, "Why???" and then I think I remember... biscuits are cookies? lol So do you say the word cookies?

I need to get clear on the whole cookie, cracker, biscuit, crisps... Why? I don't know. I guess I'm adding British English to my list of languages. :)

4. US > UK

Cookies are biscuits
    Biscuts are scones
    Crackers are (I think) crackers
    Chips are crisps
    French Fries are chips

Heather likes this.
  5. That's great, Rhys, thank you! It's interesting, here we differentiate between scones and biscuits, but I do think what you all call scones are what we call biscuits.

6. This thread is gross but in a funny way. :ROFLMAO:

For me, I don't try to test new food, I'm not that adventurous. I still am fascinated by the different "food cultures" around the world.

I really would like to travel as much though.

Thanks for sharing your amazing experiences.

7. I love chicken feet, we also call it the phoenix claw.
    We dont eat insect in Malaysia tho, we just put chili into everything we eat.

And we have durians, which alot foreigner find it weird and smelly. I love it.

Heather likes this.
  8. Chicken feet? Are they fried or what? And, there can't be much meat on there anyway, right?

I hadn't heard of durians, but I think I maybe saw some in Hawaii, and *maybe* at my local international farmer's market...

This is a quote from the wikipedia article about them:

"The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour that is strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. "

That does sound.... interesting, to say the least!

9. Chicken feet, can be found deep fried, stir fried, steamed, most commonly stewed.

Durian is also an expensive fruit and name the King of Fruits in Asia. It is also poisonous when you have it with alcohol.

Some reference

Heather likes this.
  10. Goodness, Soki. expensive and poisonous with alcohol? Crazy! :)

I didn't realize chicken feet were such a delicacy.

11. If you are ever in Asia, do give durian a try. :p

But nowadays I hardly notice chicken feet, I started trying to go vegetarian few years ago, I would said I might be eating anything meat about 1-2 a month now, and getting less.

Heather likes this.
  12. Raw fish is Japan, and they eat raw pork, squid as well. these are the ones I've tried. Raw fish is very common, its call Sashimi.

13. I eat the tomato salad quite often, though I don't use any crackers. I add cucumbers, though.

I've heard the Chinese don't spare any living thing, animal, bird or insect. They even have the "ant chatni." I'm a veg, like Kevin.

Heather likes this.
  14. Ah, @Soki has told you about our national delicacy. The smelly but amazingly delicious durian. Interestingly, I don't find it smelly but fragrant. An Asian thing perhaps?

I've ate a number of things. Let me list them down for you
    1. Fried 4 inches cockroaches in Cambodia
    2. Fried Spiders in Cambodia
    3. Pig's Brain, boiled - a chinese thing in Malaysia
    4. Live Weevil worms or Sago Worms - in East Malaysia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhynchophorus_ferrugineus
    5. Interestingly pork fat is a delicacy for chinese people. We call them siu yuk and the good ones have a layer of fats and a layer of meat. yummy! - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siu_yuk
    6. sea worms in jelly - its apparently a delicacy in Fujian province, China. My relatives had us having that every time i visit them.
    Oh yea, and the obligatory stuff like coagulated pork blood, chopped into cubes and placed in some curry noodles, prawns, cockles and the likes :) There's also the cow's penis, placed in soup. We call it, the "torpedo soup" for those who needs some help with libido :D (not me).

I had friends bringing visitors to Malaysia for that. And of course they don't tell them it's the cow's...... :D

One last thing. I've also eaten python and dog meat in East Malaysia. Apparently, it's a normal thing there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.