Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Suggestions for Pop up Email Subscription plugin & Tips

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by Sakthi, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone,

Though my website have been around for quite a few months, I have never actually used a popup email subscription in my website. I have been avoiding it because of the fear that I might end up annoying the readers. However as I read more and more articles in the internet I noticed many experienced bloggers suggest using pop-up subscription form to increase the subscribers list.

Can you please suggest me a simple & robust plugin/widget to be used to collect and mange email subscribers using popup form? (I may redesign my website in the next couple of months, and thus I should be able to install the same plugin in my new website and transfer the list easily)

Can you please suggest the best method to display it? (should i display it when the user first arrives at the website or while leaving ....etc?)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and time.

Sakthi
    http://mapleleafcountry.com/

2. Hi Sakthi,

I used to use Ninja Popups. You can pick that up for only $22 at CodeCanyon. Before that I used Pippity; however that was very buggy. Sadly, the developers never seemed to fix the issues it had. There are a lot of other premium options available which cost a lot of money e.g. OptinMonster, OptinRevolution etc.

I ended up removing pop ups altogether from my website. They were not converting as well as I had hoped and they annoyed visitors. I have seen a much better sign up rate by adding a newsletter sign up form in my header and placing an Optin Forms form underneath blog posts. That plugin is developed by @Boris Beo, who is a member here :)

If you do want to use a pop up, but don't want to spend any money on the solution, check out some of the free solutions that are available on WordPress.org. For example, WordPress Popup.

Kevin

Sakthi, Boris Beo and Brian Jackson like this.
  3. I agree with Kevin's picks :) I use Ninja Popups and @Boris Beo Optin Forms plugin. Here are my results. I added both plugins in May and as you can see they have dramatically helped my email subscription rate. (screenshot taken from MailChimp)

upload_2014-6-18_21-9-50.png

Sakthi and Boris Beo like this.
  4. Hey Sakthi,

Popups, notifications messages, header bars, messengers etc are treasures you need to explore. @Brian has rightly pointed out the difference they are capable of making for your website. As for whether to show the popup at the start or at the end there isn't any perfect formula to it. You have to test and check what works best for your audience.

Now you may get variable options like Popup ninja, Popup domination etc but all these are fragmented and only do popups. I noticed that you already have a Hello bar on your website. So I would suggest instead of having multiple plugins to capture leads try out this, all in one WP plugin that we have developed called Icegram .

Here's a quick four point summary of the plugin:

* Includes: Popups, header / footer bars, notifications, messengers

* You can set powerful targeting rules and sky rocket conversions

* It's an all-in-one, fully integrated WordPress plugin

* It works with auto responders, other plugins and themes

Try it out. It'll take less than 5 minutes.
    -Andrea

5. Hi Sakthi,

as Andrea suggested, there is no "one strategy fits all" formula when it comes to growing email lists. Best results are achieved by trial-and-error and measuring your results.

As you can see, both @Kevin Muldoon and @Brian Jackson have different setups, as Kevin isn't using any popups on his website and Brian is. However, visiting Brian's website will teach you it needs to be done in a subtle fashion. Contrary to many websites engaging popups, I've never been annoyed by a single popup on Brian's website.

Both of them are collecting emails after their blog posts, which is a great tactic in my opinion. After reading your post, your visitors are offered a chance to stay up-to-date and receive more information via email. However, the reason Kevin and Brian are seeing great results is not because of the form being there, but because they write quality articles and offer real value to their readers. By the time their visitors are done reading the post, they understand this value - and are more likely to sign up for their mailing list.

Sakthi and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  6. @Boris Beo Your plugin is just so awesome. I've just integrated it in my blog :)

Sakthi and Boris Beo like this.
  7. Thanks @Jay Mayu :D I appreciate your 5-star review on WordPress.org as well ;)

8. My pleasure @Boris Beo Your plugin definitely worth 5 star. One of the hassle free easy to use out of the box plugin. Keep up the good work.

Boris Beo likes this.
  9. Thank you all for your response. I get the point.

@Boris Beo Clearly! I can't agree with you more on the fact that the plugins are just tools, but the real conversion force is quality articles and people wanting to follow.

After listening to all of your thoughts, I think I will not go with the pop-ups as of now. I am going to stick to the option of having a good subscriber form (that is both subtle yet drawing attention from the readers) in the side bar and below the post. Just yesterday I started using Hello bar, will have that floating for a couple of days too and observe the results.

10. You should split test them and see how they all perform. e.g. hello bar for a few days, standard form for a few days, pop up for a few days.

The more impressions you display with each option, the more reliable the data will be for seeing which is best.

Sakthi likes this.
  11. @Kevin Muldoon Got it!
    I will use each option individually for a particular period of time. I also shall make a note of the (no of visitors, views) for that period - to get a picture of conversion metrics.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  12. Sounds good. Feel free to share your stats if you want feedback. I am happy to share the sign up rates if that would be helpful :)

Sakthi likes this.
  13. Andrea Juliao and Sakthi like this.
  14. OptinLinks looks good as it allows you to add two-step optins to your site which apparently convert better, although I think OptinMonster has this feature too.

15. @Joe F That brings me to the evergreen topic 'which is better? one-step or two-step optins? I recently came across this interview article where Neil Patel of Quick Sprout mentions that he prefers single step optin. Now, dont get me wrong here- I am not saying his words are the holy words in blogging.. I am just quoting a reference to kick of discussion here...

What exactly are the disadvantages of using a single step option because of which people prefer the alternative?

16. I sway more towards a single-opt in for email lists too. All the statistics point towards it being better as those who double-opt in will still unsubscribe (albeit at a slightly lower rate).

I wrote a long article about this a year and a half ago that covers most of the reasons why single-opt in is usually best: Single Opt-In vs Double Opt-in

Sakthi likes this.
  17. #17 Sakthi, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
    That was an elaborate yet informative read. Excellent insights there..Thank you Kevin.

I think to me, personally, double optin makes more sense as of now (not very experienced in the field yet) - because I can clearly visualize how people just enter email and click a button and then they dont really care...by 'dont really care' I mean not caring enough to open your email update when they receive it or even read it... I personally can think of atleast 10 of my friends who has poor reading interest and patience , yet they will just enter their email and click a button. I know couple of my friends who are lazy even to click 'unsubscribe' --- so all this, to me, personally means if an user is not patient enough or interested enough to take that little extra effort to click and confirm subscription, he is most likely not going to click and read your article... And that makes me wonder what good are they for us?! :unsure:

Summing up, I think there are quite some people who don't really know what they want and they often get influenced by attractive invitations (a well designed, well placed opt-in forms) and just enter their email and click a button. But the question is "Do we really need them?! "

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  18. By two-step optin I didn't mean having to confirm the email. It refers to the user having to click a button to display the optin form, then sign up - as opposed to the form being displayed on the site (either in content or in a popup).

Example and more info here: http://blog.leadpages.net/two-step-opt-in-process-list-building/

Pat Flynn had some great results when he switched to two-step optins.

To be fair, I'm on a few lists and some weeks I don't open the email and some I do. Its nothing personal, just depends on what is competing for my attention at the very moment I open my inbox.

Sometimes I might have just read the site online, so I know that I don't need to open the email to see what posts have been published as I've just been there.

I know statistics are great but there are so many factors as to why people don't open an email, even of you are split testing subject lines etc, there are more external factors to take into account than just what you put in your email that affect open rates.

19. @Kevin Muldoon I've read that amazing post a week ago while researching single opt-ins versus double opt-ins. I would be more than interested to read your views a year and a half later, so feel free to do an update post ;)

@Joe F Yeah, Pat Flynn is one of the first ones to see great results with two-step optins. I'm actually doing some tests myself, to see whether they perform better than one-step optins. What's your experience?

Sakthi likes this.
  20. @Sakthi I think you should stick to what suits you and your project. Could be worth doing some split testing to know for sure, but not sure whether it is worth the hassle for you.

@Joe F Thanks for clarifying Joe. I have not read much into splitting signing up into two steps. I'm a bit surprised their sign ups increased by 60% because of it.

@Boris Beo Yeah I'd love to do a follow up post (if I can find the time). My view on using a single opt-in is probably stronger now. The fact is that many people never click on the confirmation email, so your sign up rates will be significantly lower. However, conversions rate don't increase at a rate to address this drop in sign ups.

Sakthi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.