Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Suggestions for Pop up Email Subscription plugin & Tips

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by Sakthi, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think some of this comes down to the quality of content too and who the writer is. That can really skew some of these tests. I am a subscriber to Patt Flynn's site, and yes there was a double optin. Was I reluctant at all because of this? No, but the reason is because Pat Flynn's content is so amazing I didn't care lol. For people with more mediocre content, that double optin might hurt you. But again, only way to know is to test.

Boris Beo and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  2. @Kevin Muldoon @Brian Jackson I was really pleased with reading Kevin's post on the subject. For years, I've seen everybody and their mother swear by going down the double opt-in route. The main argument being that you will end up with a targeted list, quality over quantity.

With single opt-in method, you are getting the quality (people who are really, really, really interested in your email updates and would take the time to click on the confirmation) and the quantity (people who would never take the time to confirm their subscription). Yes, your open rates and click through ratios will be different than with the double opt-in method. But in the end, single opt-in allows you to reach both groups. Why limit yourself for a promise of a more targeted list?

Kevin Muldoon and Brian Jackson like this.
  3. Another thing to remember is that you can clean your list manually later. For example, you could look at subscribers that have not opened any emails in six months and simply remove them from your list. I think this will ensure a much more targeted list than a a double opt in. All a double opt in does is ensure that someone follows through with the newsletter sign up; which many people will do just to get your free eBook.

The real benefit of a double opt in is to reduce the number of fake email addresses and incorrect email addresses that are entered in your sign up forms. This is obviously a good thing, though any good email marketing service worth its salt will remove email addresses that bounce a few times. And again, if the wrong (but valid) email address is entered, it can be removed at a later date when you remove subscribers who are not opening your emails.

I think that the argument that a smaller targeted list is better is misleading.

Consider 1,000 sign ups to a newsletter on a website using single opt in and a website using double opt in. With a single opt in, your total number of sign ups remains at 1,000. With a double opt in, it could drop to 750 or even lower.

Think about the 250 people that didn't double opt in in the second scenario. Clearly, many of those people did want to sign up to your newsletter. Perhaps some people just forgot to click on the email confirmation link or didn't realise they had to opt in again. Or maybe the confirmation link went straight to their spam folder (this is very common). Is it really worth losing all those subscribers because a small percentage of that 250 people were not really that interested. If they are not that interested in your content, they will unsubscribe. That is what the unsubscribe link is for.

You'll read a lot of "experts" stating that double opt in rates have better click through rates. Of course this is the case, but that is a meaningless stat. The real statistic you want to see is the total number of clicks.

In the scenario above, the single opt in route might give you a click through rate of 25%, while the double opt in route will give you a click through rate of only 20%. It is this rationale that many marketers use to state that double opt in is better. Yet the single opt in route would generate 250 clicks from your email blast and the double opt in route would generate 187 to 188 clicks.

It seems ludicrous to lose 62 clicks in the above scenario just so that you can have a more targeted list that produces a conversion rate of 25% instead of 20%. If that statistic meant so much to you, you could always remove the 75% or 80% of people who did not click on a link in your newsletter. That way, you can boast a click through rate of 100%.

You may have realised that all top eCommerce stores use a single opt to acquire email addresses. This is because they know that they cannot give potential subscribers another chance not to subscribe. You shouldn't either. Which is why I recommend single opt in. For me, the figures don't lie, and if you want a cleaner list, simply remove the people who never open your emails. You will find that a lot of people that you remove from your list will be people who did double opt in.

To summarise, if you want to compare single opt in and double opt in properly, look at the clicks and sales hey generate, not a misleading figure such as click through rate or conversion rate. Think about it: Would you rather have a list of 100,000 emails that converted at a rate of 20% or a list of 5,000 emails that converted at a rate of 60%?

:)

Boris Beo and Brian Jackson like this.
  4. Exactly my thoughts Kevin ;)

Percentage-wise, double opt-in seems like a clear winner. In absolute numbers, single opt-in might generate more clicks... scratch that... WILL generate more clicks, as you are combining the quality and the quantity. I agree on cleaning your list regularly, which is what you should do no matter what opt-in method you are using (y)

5. I have been hesitant to do it as I have not reached the next price level at GetResponse. There is no financial benefit for me to remove subscribers at the moment. This will change in the future if I ease into the more expensive plan.

At the moment, my thinking is that a very small percentage of people who have not opened any emails in months may open up one of my emails if I do email something interesting. Therefore, it is worthwhile keeping them a little longer. As a list grows, and as the corresponding expense of maintaining that list grows, I may have to review that thinking.

6. Unless you have to pay extra, there doesn't seem to be much point in cleaning your list.

As you say, you never know when a subject line will appeal to someone, or when they will even see it as their inbox is so full all the time. All it takes is one click to sell a product or service, so why decrease your chances by cleaning your list?

7. @Joe F Agreed, however getting rid of hard bounces would be cleaning I would encourage, as it will keep your list healthy and prevent issues with spam filters. Most ESP's handle this for you, but not everyone is using those (think self-hosted solutions).

8. We lost lots of subscribers due to the double option. So we knocked it off.

Unless you have a freebie that you are holding back until the double optin signup is completed, you'll easily lose people. Besides, people are lazier confirming their subscriptions than unsubscribing. You manage to achieve the latter too but that's after sufficient irritating. :D

9. Hello,

I recently bought Optinmonster Pop up program. I like to know if it will be good practice to have both an entry and exit pop up on the same website?

Thanks

Toyin

10. I'm not a big fan of entry or exit pop up myself. I have used entry pop ups in the past and I know they do work. If you are going to use them, I would personally recommend using one or the other, but not both.

11. Hi Kevin,
    Please suggest free, lightweight Email Subscription plugin, I can use for sidebar or home page. I am using the optin-form plugin by Boris for blog posts below.

regards,
    Vamsi

12. Hey Vkala.

What email marketing service are you using to manage emails? e.g. Aweber, MailChimp etc

Kevin

13. MailChimp

14. Hi Kevin,
    Any suggestions on the plugin... I am using MailChimp.

regards,
    Vamsi

15. Thank you Kevin. I will try both.

regards,
    Vamsi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.