Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

The 12-Week Year

Discussion in 'Productivity' started by Heather, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm reading this really good book called the 12-Week year. This is the best productivity book I've read since Getting Things Done.

Basically the idea is that you plan in 12-week periods rather than having a yearly plan. Also it is a specific way of planning your time so that you complete the most strategic activities every day and every week to help you meet your goals.

I may share more later, but if anyone is looking for a good book to read, I highly recommend it. Tons of great useful content. I keep highlighting and bookmarking.

@Joe F I think you'd like this! I know we've all talked about productivity, and this book stands out as offering a specific, effective strategy for being more productive.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  2. I'll add it to the list. I'm looking to read a lot more, and although the first week or two of January will be spent going through my room and eBaying a lot, I'll add this to my amazon wishlist :)

Heather likes this.
  3. I think my favourite productivity advice ever -- something I often tell myself in fact -- goes something like this: "Is it important? If so, do it now. Not tomorrow, not in an hour: NOW. Got something else to do first? Forget whatever it is you were going to do and do that thing you're about to put off (were you about to write it in a 'To do" list?) instead. Don't _feel_ like doing it? Don't _want_ to do it? Just get started anyway... do whatever it is RIGHT NOW!"

I used to read productivity books, but after about a year of not doing anything much except reading books on doing things, I figured something out: there's a huge difference between reading books on doing things and actually doing them. Almost invariably, for me, reading was really just yet another excuse for not actually doing anything much at all. :)

There is some value in such books, especially if you've not yet read very many of them. But after a while I personally think they get a bit repetitive. I no longer read them (although I still kind of secretly want to). ;)

4. - which reminds me of one of all all-time favorite quotes (one it actually took me quite a while to really appreciate):

"Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning."

- Igor Stravinsky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.