Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

The Rise of DDoS Attacks

Discussion in 'Hosting & Domains' started by Kevin Muldoon, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been affected by DDoS attacks twice over the last week or so. The first incident occurred when my hosting company was attacked. It took down all my websites for fifteen minutes or so.

A few days later, I noticed that my email marketing provider GetResponse was not working correctly. This turned out to be a heavy DDos attack as well.

Perhaps this is just a coincidence that these occurred at the same time. I read an article the other day that said that these types of attacks cost UK companies around £240,000 per day.

I spoke to my hosting company about this and they said that there is little they can do about them. They are proactive in setting everything up to make things difficult, though their datacentres do not have the hardware needed to thwart these attacks. If they did, their prices would be much higher as a result of the costs involved with the additional hardware that is needed.

Have you guys seen any downtime recently because of DDoS attacks?

Kevin

2. I haven't had any issues recently. All my sites are on WP Engine.

3. It looks like WP Engine have a datacentre in the midwest. Automattic have invested in the company, so there is a good chance that they are simply hosting their data on one of their datacentres; however there is nothing on their website to support what company hosts them.

4. I know when WP Engine started out they had their own datacenter in Dallas Texas... But now ya, I think they are spread out more.
    Just doing a quick search though it appears WP Engine had some issues with DDoS attacks back in February (http://wpengine.com/2014/02/12/ddos-attacks-update/) Could be that they fixed it before I noticed anything.

Your right though over the last couple months I have been reading about DDoS attacks all the time.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  5. Yeah you wouldn't have known unless they told you about it. My hosting company never emailed me about the attack. I only found out because I was online when my websites went down. I subsequently opened a support ticket and was then told about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.