Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Tim Ferriss's Public Speaking Advice

Discussion in 'Video & Audio Recording' started by Heather, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://fourhourworkweek.com/2010/04/11/public-speaking-how-i-prepare-every-time/

This is from Amy Lynn's Useletter... I thought this was interesting both from the standpoint of preparing for a podcast possibly or a training video or an actual public talk.

I'm curious if any of you have done much public speaking and if so, how you prepare?

In a way I have, in the context of being a teacher. In that case, I would prepare by creating my lesson plans, being already really knowledgeable of the content and brushing up on or re-reading relevant texts. I like the way that Tim's first suggestion is to make the focus about teaching from the stage. That is actually my own primary tip for having the courage to put myself "out there," viewing myself as a teacher or someone who is there to help others, rather than focusing on myself. Focusing on myself feels scary, but focusing on help others feels safe.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  2. I've done a bit.

I would know your subject, know your slides, but don't know what you should say.

I used to be involved in professional wrestling, and a lot of that involves speaking in front of a camera and in front of a crowd. The one thing I avoided to do was learn your line parrot fashion. The problem with that is that you can forget your lines and unable to recover, the second is you cannot react to things properly. I generally therefore have a plan on what to say, and also to practice a bit, but other than that I don't do much.

Heather likes this.
  3. That's a good point. One of my favorite books is called Improv Wisdom, and one of her pieces of advice is that when you're preparing a speech, to write down questions rather than bullet points, and definitely not try to memorize something exactly. As you said, you're liable to "mess up" and also you're less likely to seem genuine and to have room to really connect with the listeners.

Kevin, when you were filming your videos, how much did you prepare for what you were going to say? Did you ever use notes to remind you of anything or did you just kind of plan in your head what you wanted to talk about it and then just do it off the cuff?

4. I just do it off the cuff, though I usually have an idea of what I am going to say and in some videos the one you see on YouTube is not the first take.

I did use notes initially, but I quickly realised I never referred to them so I got out of that habit quickly.

I think it should be obvious my videos are not prepared haha :D

Heather likes this.
  5. :) ha ha

For my intro's and outtro's I do have a script, but I'd like to move towards bullet points... And I'd like to practice talking off the cuff. I really need practice with that. I might mix it up at some point and not just do interviews.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.