Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

Video affiliate programs recommendations

Discussion in 'SEO & PPC Marketing' started by Alex de Borba, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I am currently working on a category on the site that displays only articles with videos, such as premieres, singles and so on. I daresay that I am not entirely satisfied with Google AdSense when it comes to specifically target the ads per category over the pages, as it seems to go over the edge quite often and the results, regarding PPC, leave much to desire.

Having this in mind, I am in need to know which video platforms and services do you know that have an affiliate program in which I can sign-up and add their codes to this kind of pages over the site.

Thank you in advance.

2. enstine and Alex de Borba like this.
  3. I know it is something a bit unusual, but let me explain to you what I am trying to do so that it can shine some light over the matters.

My site has content organized by categories like any other WordPress site that publishes news, nevertheless, when you use something like Google Adsense in a, let's us say; Video Category. Google AdSense may or may not, no matter how hard you try to force it, display ads that are targeting the audience of readers that go to the category to read the news. Our video classes are split between Music, Games, and Movies, and often Google AdSense displays over Music, ads from gaming online (you know, those that nobody actually finds relevant).

Having this in mind, my concept is to use precisely target ads per category, associated with the topics at hand, and not having a reader accessing to a post over Video Games and have an ad for a comedy movie. Plus, affiliate marketing payout more other than Google AdSense PPC, the harder thing is to actually find affiliates that pay well, and are focused on those oriented areas.

4. I use the WordPress plugin Widget Logic on my blog. It can be used to display widgets on certain areas of your website e.g. home page, categories, blog posts, etc.

For example, on my blog I use it so that my about widget is not displayed on my about page.

On your website, you could set up advertisements for each area of your website and place them in a widget. Then use Widget Logic to ensure they are only displayed on certain areas of your website.

Alex de Borba likes this.
  5. #5 Alex de Borba, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    I do have the same widget enabled. However, yesterday I began to implement AI over WordPress to "learn" and organize, as well as to display, based on Entities, etc. I am taking the things a step forward by adding Artificial Intelligence to the site in a different manner.

Seek for the plugin: WordLift - Ordering Knowledge

6. That looks like a quality plugin. I had never heard of that before. Surprised it only has 70 installations at the moment.

7. Good morning,

Yes @Kevin Muldoon, the plugin is quite interesting yet very complicated to use if you are not aware of how to setup and deploy the rich snippets, for instance.

It only has 70 installations so far due to the following reasons, this based on my personal observations, of course:

• Artificial Intelligence is something relatively new when it comes to sites, and few are the ones using, most prominent news sources do it, CNN, for instance, is included on the list.
    • I only heard about AI been implemented on sites in late 2015, and while everyone is talking about HTML5, Responsive Design and so on, very few talk about AI, and less the ones that fully comprehend how it works and the benefits it can bring to a site.
    • AI, unfortunately, suffers stigmatization as most developers see it as a "living" thing that uses "intelligence," therefore, it "thinks and reacts" accordingly while communicating freely with devices and machines.
    • The plugin in question is still under development, you need to ask them a Key to run it and they determinate who obtains the Key and when.
    This is, of course, my insight.

In order to speed the development of my site, so that we can meet the deadline, we have hired an in-house marketing manager (also Portuguese) and he began last night to setup for us DoubleClick for Publishers Small Business. For now, we will be using it to setup the ad delivery over our site while we slowly implement other technics.

8. Best of luck with it. DoubleClick is used by a lot of website owners; particularly those with high traffic websites. It's probably a little too advanced for my own needs.

9. @Kevin Muldoon, thank you.

And yes, DoubleClick is generally used by large companies with big traffic sources, as we are predominantly a news source related to cultural matters, a kind of online magazine that meets many topics of interest, we decided to apply for it and began using it.

Initially, we thought about going straight plain and use the Google AdSense official plugin and just add our AdSense placements to the site, however, and as widely reported, their plugin fails to load most of the times and often, vanishes for no apparent reason with all the ad units displayed on pages.

Then again, we are very (specially me) anti-plugin so we decided to go straight to DoubleClick and implement the codes directly on the theme, which has fields to insert ads on specific areas without requiring us to have extra plugins running just to archive this kind of thing.

DoubleClick, again I do agree it is far complex and most newcomers would be totally lost with it. Fortunately, we have one person that handles it for the company while my task is just to "fetch" and put the codes on the theme. The major advantage is that I have been a developer involved with Revive AdServer (formerly known as OpenX) for many years, and whence I got into DoubleClick, it seemed rather a familiar to me so I did not got entirely overwhelmed with the setup. Besides this, and since they allow us to add our own advertisers and "blend" those with Google AdSense, it provides us a wider source of advertising income other than be limited to Google AdSense itself.

10. I used OpenX about ten years ago to server ads on my old poker discussion forum. I loved it, but I never did anything complex with it. I simply used it to track ads for myself and advertisers.

What's the URL of your website? I'd love to check it out. :)

11. #11 Alex de Borba, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
    I used Revive AdServer until past November, but the way I was using was way more complex than the one you mentioned.

The site is presently offline until we do not finish what has to be done, however, I am leaving here a few screenshots so that you can take a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I forget, live photos from performances are taken by our in-house photographers :rolleyes:

Sanjay Ojha likes this.
  12. It's looking great. Looks like it's going to have a lot of content on the website.

Are you trying to reach a certain volume of content before you launch?

Kevin

13. The site is a redo from Joomla! to WordPress, manually migrated. My company is five years old and we have more than 5,000 articles already, nevertheless what we always published content related to heavy metal, music per say, and this year we decided to expand toward literature, lifestyle, technology, games, movies, art exhibitions, and a lot more while keeping the main topic as a base, not to lose our entity.

What we are trying to do before the relaunch is to fill the new categories with content, since we don't have it we hired new writers to provide content to the new categories for us. As they deliver, we setup the site categories, menus, widgets and blocks as we go, working on content.

We also invested quite a significant amount of money on the remake (approximately 30 million COP), fired old crew members and coached new ones (took them from competitor medias). Besides this, we are also purchasing a few premium plugins (Envira Gallery, Yoast SEO Premium, Roost Web Push, EventOn, iThemes Security Pro, Yoast News SEO, etc.) that we are setting up, and there is a few missing (Bloom, Monarch).

All in all, what we are doing is to revamp our branding entirely. The site was to be online January 1st, but we have issues with our hosting provider (we still do), so we will be migrating to Kinsta sometime soon.

Besides all this, we also completely redid our structure setup, moving away from MaxCDN to KeyCDN, dropping CloudFlare service, and all subscriptions we had from Joomla!, redoing our SEO while dropping WebCEO and WooRank and adopting MOZ, etc, etc...

14. It sounds like a massive project. Did you take a step back and examine your website and look at what needed changed and what didn't? Changing your CDN etc suggests you weren't happy with a lot of services you were using.

15. It is a massive task, indeed, and yes. We sat down (me and my co-business partner) and evaluated all the services we had sign-up as well as the expenses and layered down within months, suitable replacements for each one of those services while replacing it by plugins.

Some of the services we decided to cut-off were:
    • AddThis Pro
    • CloudFlare Pro
    • Disqus
    • DropBox Pro
    • Google Storage
    • MaxCDN
    • WookRank
    • Sublime Video Player Pro
    • Vimeo Plus
    • etc...
    We also dropped Joomla! extensions, paid, such as:
    • Admin Tools Pro
    • Akeeba Backup Pro
    • Ark Editor Pro
    • Ark Media Pro
    • Joomunited Pro
    • Sh404Sef
    • Snippets Pro
    • Unite Revolution Slider Pro
    • etc...
    And quite a few others more, both services and extensions.

To sum up, we went from a monthly bill that was around $ 800 USD to less than $200 USD, yet still keeping the same functionality and features we had.

Our next step will be leaving SiteGround and migrated toward Kinsta, this after been customers of SiteGround since 2012. I might say that we completely redid our structure as well as regained some financial stability regarding this matters.

In what concerns to MaxCDN, we had numerous issues with their service that wasn't fully supported in a comprehensive manner by their support team. In fact, most of the times we had issues creating a Pull Zone, their support took up to 3 days to reach us back with a solution or saying that they weren't aware of a bug system or misconfiguration.

Much doe to @Brian Jackson article regarding KeyCDN, we decided to leave them and move to KeyCDN and see how it works out for us. So far, we are pleased with their service as well as their caching plugin which now replaces WP Rocket. We also purchase an Optimus subscription while dropping Kraken.

The significant impact regarding all this was my decision to leave Joomla! and embrace WordPress. Whence the decision was made, and publically published (it caused some havoc on Facebook), the development began and we migrated and adjusted our things for over one year. Joomla! as many may not be aware, becomes extremely pricey to maintain, most useful extensions are expensive, and others are non-existent, part of my Joomla! company site was built by me to cover extensions they don't have available. Fortunately, WordPress does have all we need without forcing me (I am the sole developer on the company) to spend endless hours coding everything myself just to fill the gaps.

Kevin Muldoon and Brian Jackson like this.
  16. Alex I can tell you moving to Kinsta will be the best move you ever make. (y) Never been with a better host.
    Great to hear KeyCDN is working out well for you!

I think the migration to WordPress is a good move. I write a lot of tutorials in Drupal, Joomla, Magento, etc... and I am always banging my head why they put things in certain places or why it is 5x longer to find/do something that I could do in a few seconds in WordPress. WordPress definitely isn't perfect, but with such a large market share the abundance of options makes it very easy to use.

17. @Brian Jackson, we moved to KeyCDN about one month ago, and we are happy paid customers, just missing me to setup the Pull Zone under SSL due to SiteGround refusal to allow us to use the Keys outside their service so I will be working on it next week.

The migration to WordPress had many factors involved, as I detailed above and elsewhere in here, and I am entirely pleased with it. Loads way faster, maintenance is a breeze, everything we need is available to install, either free or paid we get the job done, this not to mention that WordPress consumes less disk space, the user experience is more straightforward and whence doing upgrades, it doesn't crash like Joomla! does almost all the freaking time! Joomla! also consumes a lot more resources than WordPress, and whence you install an extension, you might find yourself doing setups for about an hour, besides styling it so that the site keeps the same look and feel. After 10 years working with Joomla! to the very core, I just got enough, and WordPress seems to me like a challenge to undertake, and perhaps this year, code and release my own plugins.

I never got into Drupal, however, used Magento Commerce since day one and had an online store with over 10,000 products. After a while, Magento Commerce addons began to become really expensive and the support slacked. Upgrading it was a total nightmare, you never knew if the store would be up and running, or if it would crash to the point of restore, wait and hold until they say "ok, now the new version is finally stable". I am yet to experience WooCommerce and see how it goes.

Magento Commerce also did me some banging, can you remember how hard was to just do template changes on the frontend? Sometimes you could spend more time trying to figure which files do this or that, other than getting some work done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.