Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

What Is An Acceptable Yearly Budget For Your Company For Wordpress Themes And Plugins?

Discussion in 'General WordPress Related Discussions' started by Kevin Muldoon, Jul 8, 2016.

?
  1. Zero - I only use free WordPress plugins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Less than $100 per year

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Between $100 and $500 per year

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  4. Between $500 and $1,000 per year

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. More than $1,000 per year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The WordPress marketplace has changed a lot over the last ten years. One notable shift has been from premium plugins being rare to being commonplace.

Over the last year or so I have seen a lot more companies adopt a business model that charges for six months or a year of support and updates.

I fully support this model as it means that developers are being compensated for improving their plugins and making sure they are bug free and secure etc.

On an individual basis, paying for yearly updates for a WordPress theme or plugin is not a big expense. However, due to the number of products being sold in this basis, collectively the cost of using your favourite plugins and themes is going up.

Some WordPress plugins now cost over $100 a year. This means that some businesses may have to spend thousands of dollars a year in order to maintain their website.

I am curious as to what all of you think is an acceptable budget for WordPress themes and plugins on a yearly basis.

Kevin

2. Hey @Kevin Muldoon ,
    I have been away for a couple of months but I'm glad I'm back. I had to take care of a lot of offline stuffs while making sure my blog doesn't go dormant.

I don't keep many blogs. With just one blog, I don't think spending more than $500 a year is necessary. This year, I have bought 2 premium plugins and one requires yearly fee for maintenance and that's just $24. My current theme doesn't have any maintenance fee though I plan to switch themes. Maybe my next choice will have a yearly charge but after all, I think all put together shouldn't be over $500

3. Budget will obviously depend on the priority of a project and how profitable it is. I would be much more willing to spend money on my personal blog that a small content website I created as a hobby.

I don't know exactly, but I suspect I spend between $500 and $1,000 per year on themes and plugins. I'd be willing to spend more if I thought it would help me make more money.

4. I spend approximately $300 a year on plugins. I think it's a worthwhile investment, some make me money (paid forums for support). I am happy to keep paying to keep the teams developing said plugins.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  5. I spend a bit more on plugins, due to being on WooCommerce :( Plus I subscribe to CoSchedule (10/mo for each site), VaultPress (15/mo) and previously was on Postmatic Legacy (10/mo)

I've dropped Postmatic and went back to Disqus due to issues the site will face when you've a lot of native comments

6. Brian Jackson and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  7. Leo Koo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.