Welcome to Rise Forums

Join our fantastic community to connect with like-minded website owners, WordPress users, and online entrepreneurs.

What's The Best Speed Benchmarking Service?

Discussion in 'Design & Development' started by Kevin Muldoon, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There are a lot of benchmarking services around.

In the past I have mainly used GTmetrix and Google PageSpeed Insights. For whatever reason, some people don't seem to like GTmetrix.

Pingdom seems to be favoured by many people.

I am going to do some articles about optimisation etc so for screenshots it's better if I pick one and stick with it.

Which service do you guys use?

Kevin

2. I am a huge fan of GTMetrix :) - use it quite a lot for client projects.

3. I use GTmetrix, It give me more details, I can download optimize images right from there. I get correct image dimension.
    I also use google PageSpeed, but not able to to solve the CSS render blocking issue.
    My CSS file is huge and it need bootstrap most of the time.

4. Kevin, The website is not a WP website. Though, I have tried every recommendation, My score is good on GTmetrix and Pingdom, but google pagespeed is real pain.
    I had minified all css and js, concatenated them and attached the css at head and js at footer. But since my css files are larger (Using bootstrap, custom css and google fonts) It never gave me good score for mobile device.
    For CSS, I got this very good guide - https://varvy.com/pagespeed/render-blocking-css.html
    They have some very good tools, which analyze CSS and JS very deeply
    https://varvy.com/tools/css-delivery/
    https://varvy.com/pagespeed/
    Beside that it has some very good article too.

Kevin Muldoon likes this.
  5. Ahhh sorry. I work with WordPress so much I get in the habit that most websites are using it.

I don't have an amazing score on Google PageSpeed yet either. It seems difficult to optimise for it.

6. ya, I read your blog. Actually you have to get your hand dirty with CSS and JS customization. To get good score on google pagespeed for mobile device you need to tailor your CSS and JS a lot and remove unwanted CSS and JS from pages. Many theme/plugin developers use Entire CSS framework or JS library without tailoring it, This make files large and hence bad score on google pagespeed.

7. That is the problem. Plugins are essential to most WordPress websites, so this makes it close to impossible to optimise a website fully (at least according to Google PageSpeed).

8. #11 Kris Hoja, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Nah it's not that hard ;)

WordPress + Genesis
    Plugins to get it 100%: Async JS, Cache enabler, Autoptimize, Remove Query Strings From Static Resources.

screenshot-developers.google.com 2017-06-07 16-57-16.png
    [​IMG]

9. That's impressive Kris, Genesis don't use any external big CSS library, Its plus point.
    I analyzed few inner pages of the above website and it have some problem according to google pagespeed. So basically it is not easy to get 100 for all type of websites. It purely depends on website's need and what theme and plugins it is using

10. I'm using WordPress & Genesis too :)

Are you using a cache plugin too or just the plugins mentioned above?

I'm tempted to do another case study with the plugins you mentioned and seeing whether they do help me reach a score of 100.

11. Yes, I'm using Cache enabler by KeyCDN.
    To get as close as possible to 100 I was following one of @Brian Jackson tutorials.
    Edit: this one

@Sanjay Ojha I'm using Font Awesome and Google Fonts there, but I decided to host these files instead of calling them from CDN. There are also 5 JS files being included on all pages.

Here is content from .htaccess (very good starting point before all plugins)
    Code:
    <filesMatch ".(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf|woff|svg)$">
    Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, public"
    </filesMatch>
    ## EXPIRES HEADER CACHING ##
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
    ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/javascript "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
    ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
    ExpiresDefault "access 2 days"
    </IfModule>
    ## EXPIRES HEADER CACHING ##

Brian Jackson and Kevin Muldoon like this.
  12. Thanks Kris. That's a great tutorial by Brian. I will need to refer to that.

I had a problem with Google fonts as Visual Composer uses it. So I found it difficult to optimise Google font elements being called in Visual Composer and other plugins.

Sanjay Ojha likes this.
  13. Visual composer shouldn't be calling Google fonts on the front-end? I haven't touched an install with VC for a while, but if it is, that is horrible. They shouldn't be calling external stuff like that. That should be left up to the theme.

14. Don't quote me on that. I just assumed that's what was doing it as some of the headings I use are from Google Fonts. I'll need to look into it more closely and see which plugin is doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.